NEW MINI WILL NOT RECORD BUFFER

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by jetcobra, Jan 19, 2018.

1. jetcobra

jetcobra Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just installed my first Mini (non-4K) and the parent unit is a 4-tuner Bolt.

I tried to record a program while it was in live play by pressing the record button. It had over 30 minutes of buffer so I thought I would get the buffer and the program going forward, but this did not happen. It did not record the buffer but only the program going forward. So what causes this since the actual recording is done by the Bolt?

Thanks

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I could not duplicate your problem on my Roamio and v2 Mini. Both running 20.7.4.RC18 software.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    So if you're watching a live TV program from your Mini, with some buffer, and then hit the Record button, the buffer will be included in the recording?

I just tested this and my live session continued without issue, retaining its buffer, but the recorded program started from the point I triggered the recording, sans the buffer.

edit: Even when I made sure the TiVo had to use the same tuner for the recording, the buffer wasn't included in the recording. In this case, the live TV session had to be stopped in order to begin the recording, so the Mini was bounced to TiVo Central and the buffer was immediately lost.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Correct. I put the Mini on-line from Standby. I saw that I was 20 minutes into a 30 minute program. I hit Record and confirmed to record. There was a message about the TDL and the keep until, but I wasn't watching too closely. Then I put the Mini back into Standby and turned off the TV. When the recording finished, I played it and it started from the beginning of the program.

I'm testing again.

Ok, this is interesting. I just checked the recording and it gives me a length of when I hit record. My first test was on a TV series. This time I'm on a movie. Time for third test.

5. jetcobra

jetcobra Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I talked to a Tivo tech and he said that since my Bolt has quickplay the buffer would never record when manually activated from my Mini??? Huh!!! This seems weird - since the Bolt is doing the actual recording it should always include the buffer - why wouldn't it? I do not see what quickplay has to do with it.

6. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    Just a thought (I dont have a mini to test on) what about rewinding to the beginning of the buffer then hitting record.

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Here's something to consider. First, the TiVo person is stupid. Second, I just duplicated your problem, but it may be not a happy ending. My current theory is that when you hit Record, you will get the buffer IF the beginning of what you are watching is in the buffer. It could explain why the movie failed, but a short program (30 minutes) half way through includes the whole program. I just did it again.

You may wish to verify this. Also, I'm puzzled why my recording of Friends from 1997 recorded at 3pm has SkipMode applied.

BTW, that 30 minute buffer is dependent on bit rate. So it can be longer if the program is ABC, which on my feed has a really low bit rate. In the past it has been proven that the buffer can only be viewed 30 minutes in the past but may contain over 30 minutes if you record it.

8. jetcobra

jetcobra Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I believe you are right - I just tried a show that had been on for over 30 minutes and hit the record button and it only recorded from the button push. I will next try a show that starts at 3 pm and let it go for 10 minutes or so and hit the record button and see if the buffer is recorded. Even is this is so - WHY?????

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    My test was also using a movie.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You might want to try setting a couple tuners on the DVR to the channel that you'll be recording. That way, when the Mini requests the recording, the DVR may grab a tuner where a buffer exists for the program in question.

When you request a recording from a Mini, the Mini retains control of the tuner and its associated buffer. The DVR has to grab another tuner for the requested recording, and, basically, it'd be pure luck to get the buffer included in a recording.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm trying that now.

update: if you go on-line, then decide to record that channel, you get its buffer.

if you go on-line then switch to a buffered channel, you don't get the buffer even though you should.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My Minis have always done this. Unless it just happens that another tuner was on the same channel. When I select a show to record that has a buffer on teh Mini, it is using one tuner. When I select record, the host TiVo uses a different tuner. So the only way the buffer is included is if the other tuner was on the same channel.

And with my TiVos, I run them in high power savings mode. So there will not be a tuner buffering while in standby. So I never get the 30 minute buffer when I initiate a recording from my Mini v1 or Mini Vox.

krkaufman likes this.
  13. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I've noticed this several times. It's just poor programming of the function. While I understand why it happens - the main unit gets a different tuner with no current buffer to start the recording - there is no reason at all why that should happen and the Mini's buffer should not be part of the recording on the current tuner.

The following scenario is even more annoying: You're watching something on the Mini and you are at the 10 minute point in the 30 minute buffer (so 20 minutes behind live). You hit record, and the Mini wipes out the buffer and jumps to real time, where it starts to record. In other words, the main unit selects another tuner to start the recording, then forces the Mini to that same tuner, deleting the buffer. Not very clever planning on the programer's part.

14. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    I had this problem for the first two days I had my mini. I rebooted everything and it worked after that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

15. tifosi

tifosi New Member

Jun 26, 2004
    I've noticed this too... Yet another item on the VERY long list of very poor execution of the TiVo Mini Vox and UI. This function used to work just fine on my V1 Mini's until I "upgraded" to a Vox and the new UI... why, why, why???? The lackluster performance of TiVo is getting old real quick... I've been waiting for some fix from TiVo for any of the multitude problems for months now. Do they even care?

16. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Wow, I just noticed this. Poor, sloppy integration.

I thought the buffer would always be included if available when recording a show in-progress.

Guess not :(

17. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    It is sloppy, thoughtless programming of the function.

There is no reason that the current Mini channel/tuner, complete with whatever is in its buffer, shouldn't be recorded in total.

Here we are, almost two years after the first post in this thread, and it's still broken. And it is incredibly annoying.

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It's obviously must be how TiVo wants it.
    I only know my v1 Mini and my Mini Vox both behave the same way with Hydra. Neither one will record the buffer. UNless the tuner happens to be on the same channel when recording is initiated.

19. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I don't know if that's true. Some things are programmed a certain way by incompetents for their own reasons (like for example, this is just easier than actually thinking through the problem), and then it just carries on into subsequent versions because no one gives a damn.