1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Mini Purchase

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by ADG, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Feb 2, 2018 #1 of 22
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I currently have 3 Roamio's, an S3 and a 2nd gen mini. I want to replace the S3 with a mini but do not want to go through the nonsense I'm reading about in the threads here. We've tried Hydra and hated it - reverted to "normal" interface.

If I understand correct the new mini ships with Hydra. Does anyone know where I can purchase a new 2nd generation mini? I've tried Google but with no success. And I don't see any in the Tivo store.

Thanks.

2. Feb 2, 2018 #2 of 22
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    While the software on a Mini can be changed up and down, you can get v2 Mini boxes at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Mini-IR...F8&qid=1517580244&sr=8-4&keywords=tivo+mini+2

I bought a Mini VOX with no intention of using it for anything but testing. Also, "ships with" is not completely accurate. My Roamio OTA shipped with 20.6.3 but installed Hydra on its first Guided Setup. I'll bet any new Mini ships with classic UI software. Upon its first host connection it will decide what to do and prompt you for permission.

3. Feb 2, 2018 #3 of 22
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Thanks. Actually I did see that on Amazon but it is out of stock and since Tivo doesn't seem to be selling them any longer I wasn't sure if that was a temporary or permanent "out of stock".

4. Feb 2, 2018 #4 of 22
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Seems to be quite a few on eBay. I bought my first two TiVo Premieres on eBay. Both still work.

Like I said, if you connect a Mini VOX to a non-Hydra host, you will be asked to choose. Then again, you will be using the VOX remote, which I dislike.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  5. Feb 2, 2018 #5 of 22
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Thanks again.

JoeKustra likes this.
  6. Feb 3, 2018 #6 of 22
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Nope - can't find a new 2nd gen anywhere. Guess I'll have to get a vox mini and keep my fingers crosses.

7. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    If only it would have prompted me. I set up two refurb minis yesterday. Both, without prompting, "upgraded" to Hydra, rebooted, and then informed me that because my Roamio isn't on Hydra, asked if I wanted to downgrade. Nice timesuck that.

JoeKustra and krkaufman like this.
  8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I guess my theory has been killed. I will know better next time. Thanks.

9. WVZR1

WVZR1 Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I wonder how recent this 'downgrade' option is. There's many that mention issues when attempting a connection and setup of an A92 Mini. I've an A92 - new in box that's on my account but TiVo mentions still that there are 'known issues' with setup. I'm sorta just hangin' around to see what to do. My Roamio isn't on Hydra and I've no interest in Hydra.

DREW Tivo - did it allow you to roll back with no issues? What 'refurbs' were these?

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Just set it up, already...!!!

fcfc2 and JoeKustra like this.
  11. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    These were refurbs offered in the post-Thanksgiving sale.

Rollback had no issues (so far as I can tell) other than the delay. I booted up, started guided setup with the "old" system, and then it magically stopped and restarted the guided setup. I noticed it looked different, and after going through the same steps it got to the end and told me I needed to downgrade. On the other one I even had it working under the old system software, and then came back the next morning and it made me go through the new guided setup only to tell me it needed to roll back.

12. WVZR1

WVZR1 Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    There's confirmed instances where an A92 Mini V1 that hasn't been setup prior to I believe 20.6 won't activate when attempted. There's users out there with 'bricked boxes' that TiVo says were working on it. I called and they told me 'known issue' and wouldn't talk about it. I'm not interested in an attempt until I can be reasonably sure it will activate and set up.

Here's the thread I stumbled upon last week:

Tivo Mini known issue - anyone dealt with this?

13. CableNeverTHISBad

CableNeverTHISBad New Member

Feb 15, 2018

Wise move.

I, on the other hand, took the bait every time customer service told me to reboot my router, force the Roamio connection 3 times, put my left foot in and shake it all about. They played me for a fool months in a row, ...and all they time they knew it wouldn't work. I am one of the idiots who spent months rewiring my house for bricked TiVo gear.

Now I just want them to explain how the "certified refurbished" product they sold me contained 3 year old obsolete software - and why they won't make this never working product right.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Except "they" == "Woot" in your case, right? TiVo doesn't control Woot's marketing.

15. CableNeverTHISBad

Feb 15, 2018
    If you say so. Here's a cut/paste from my Amazon purchase history, ...looks all TiVo to me. Still credited even today under TiVo's product. Definitely not counterfeit so hard to pin blame on any 3rd party. Pretty sure any of Amazon's vendors can list under Woot (Amazon owned label) daily deal. Seems a stretch to say TiVo bears no responsibility for the refurbished claim. But I am not an employee so I can't say for sure.

TiVo
    TiVo Mini with IR Remote (Certified Refurbished)
    4.0 out of 5 stars 49 customer reviews
    | 11 answered questions

16. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Cool. I bought that very one in 2016 when they had a lightning deal for $69 (the "49 customer reviews" link). Mine was like new in the original box and everything. Still works great.

I've also bought ones from directly from Woot in the past. Luckily none of them every gave me any problems, so I've never tried to return them.

Have you made sure the Mini was added to your account before you tried to set it up?

17. CableNeverTHISBad

Feb 15, 2018

Yes. Thank you. It is connected. The mistake I made was not starting up the mini as soon as I bought it. If I had, even not refurbished to 2016 software, the old 2013 software would have updated and I would have been fine. But when I opened the box I realized it needed to be Cat5 hardwired and I spent many months wiring my house attic to basement. By the time I set it up, TiVo had issued the fatal kill shot software update that bricked the original 2013 OS.

I am resigning myself to TiVo not helping fix this, and it never working. I have found someone who will take over my account so TiVo can't double bill us for ending my commitment early and him starting his.

Might as well give up. SlingTV, DirecTV Now, Philo, etc., have no interest in creating apps for TiVo. The web is skeptical TiVo will exist by 2020, ...already done in New Zealand & Australia. If TiVo customer service doesn't want to help me stay with them, I will join the hundreds of thousands of rats leaving their sinking ship.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  18. CableNeverTHISBad

Feb 15, 2018

Great news! My A92 mini awoke from it's coma today, connected, and rolled back pre Hydra. After 7 months a TiVo subscriber IT WORKS!!! -I can't believe it! Guess I will plug in mini #2 and enjoy whole house TiVo for the 1st time. So happy I should probably change my posting name now! :D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018 at 10:43 AM
    mdavej likes this.
  19. WVZR1

WVZR1 Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I'd think a NEW USER ID might be a good choice!!

This is interesting! I had a sorta conversation with a gal at TiVo and she understood some of my issues and none of what she mentioned was from a 'script'. She hinted that there had been significant progress with the engineering and to just maybe 'hang on'.

This morning I pulled my Roamio and put my old 4XL back to it's original location and was going to attempt an install with it thinking that maybe it was an issue with the Roamio tuner assignment vs the 4XL selective tuner where you actually dedicate one. I was nearly through 'guided setup' with NO M-CARD and I was going to look at the 4XL setup guide.

Now I think that since the 4XL has completed setup I may go ahead and see how the A92 does with this setup. The 4XL menu has changed a bit and I need to figure out now how to assign a tuner.

I'll be back!

Really happy I didn't swap the M-card back to the 4XL. Getting a 'hit' from Comcast for the M-card can sometimes be interesting. I've not needed one for a few years but I wasn't looking forward to it if I actually needed to use the M-card to get through set-up.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018 at 12:08 PM
  20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Premieres use dynamic Mini tuner assignment now, since around the time the Roamios were released I think.