New Member of the Premiere Club

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by deepthinker, May 16, 2011.

1. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Long time TiVo user and just bought 2 refurb'd Premieres to replace my 2 TiVo HD units. I started out my DVR/PVR days with Ultimate TV, but have had TiVo's for years now. Just look at my join date to the forum. ;) Man was the Ultimate TV one thing Microsoft should have stuck with longer. It's hard to believe it took TiVo until recently to have the freaking "Free Space Indicator" that the Ultimate TV had eons ago. :mad:

The "Free Space Indicator" is one of the reasons I decided to finally pull the trigger along with most importantly the power savings. Yes, I know the HD UI is still not complete. (Here's hoping they get with it after reading about the Virgin TiVo). Still, it's hard to sneeze at a 35 to 45% power reduction for two electronic components that run 24/7.

Anyway, I just got both boxes today from UPS and I'm in the process of setting them up now. Odd to me that they both have manufacture dates of May 2011 and are refurbs. What's even odder is that during setup they are both doing a software upgrade. I would have thought that a refurb manufactured this month would already have had the latest software. :confused:

Well back to checking on both boxes. Feel free to chime in with anything I might want to know about the switch to Premieres. My two 1.5 GB AV-GP hard drives will arrive tomorrow for a capacity upgrade and yes I've already found the JMFS Live CD sticky.;) Any thoughts on that would be nice as well. I'm a tech geek, so as long as it was programmed well I shouldn't have any issues.

2. HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    I just ordered my Premiere XL (refurb) today. How long did it take for yours to come?

I'm giving my husband the TiVoHD and replacing it with the Premiere as our cable provider has just nullified a number of our MCE machines by going nearly all digital and requiring an adapter for all non-digital tuners. :-( He's currently using our old Series 2 but it's not quite cutting it so it will go back to the bedroom as backup after the new machine comes.

I'm excited for the Premiere and didn't realize the energy savings was so great. That's good news!

Enjoy your new TiVos!

3. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Ordered on Friday the 13th :eek: and received them today (Monday the 16th), but I paid for two day shipping.

4. HeatherA

Jan 9, 2002
    I knew I should have pony'd up for the 2 day shipping. I'm so spoiled by Amazon prime that I hate paying for shipping any more. Haha. Guess I'll be waiting awhile as mine is coming ground. I'm figuring I'll be lucky if it ships by the end of the week.

5. HeatherA

Jan 9, 2002
    Good news for me... my Premiere shipped today and will be here by Friday end of day... just in time for me to play over the weekend. Already have my cablecard ready and waiting to be installed.

6. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    What ever you do, if you have Comcast, do NOT try to activate the cablecard on a weekend. It will be a nightmare, and end up requiring a truck roll. The cablecard activation team only works M-F business hours (as I was told by the tech who FINALLY got mine activated).

7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    That's not true. My parents had a cablecard installed in their Premiere on a saturday afternoon without issue.

8. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Self install, or truck roll install?

9. VideoRoy

VideoRoy Member

May 17, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I bet you have Comcast. Same thing just happened to me and why I am out looking at Tivo now.

10. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The JMFS Live CD for upgrading the Premieres is really simple. You shouldn't have any problems.

11. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Foul. I have worked with a cable card REP past 9 pm on my latest install. She was great- smart enough to know that the pairing problem needed a back office data repair, and not another truck roll. As the process went on, she would need to call me back, and did so timely through the evening.

12. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Well the JMFS Live CD couldn't have been easier. Both Premiere drives took a little over 2 hours each last night to copy, expand, and supersize to new 1.5 TB WD15EURS AV-GP drives while hooked up to the internal SATA ports of my PC. I'm now at a glorious 237 HD hours on both boxes! It's nice to have another 80 hours over the 157 hour 1 TB's that I have in the TiVo HD's.:D Now it's just going to take forever to get everything copied over from the old boxes to the new ones with the TiVo HD's slow network speed.:(

For now I have the Antenna hooked up to both of the new Premieres with the Cable and Cablecards still in the TiVo HD's. I've already set both Premieres to transfer everything from their respective HD boxes.

If I go ahead and move the Cablecards over will that affect or cancel the transfers from box to box while going through the setup of the Cablecards? Should I wait until all show transfers are done? FYI, I've got Verizon FiOS and I've heard it doesn't even require a phone call. I'd like to get the Cablecards in the new boxes ASAP so I can set up any recordings we have. Otherwise the old TiVo's are just going to keep recording even more stuff I have to transfer.;)

13. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Well I answered mine own question in bold above. I decided what the heck that I would try and swap Cablecards between my two primary boxes old and new. The blue transfer light on the Premier stayed on for most of the install of the Cablecard, but it appears it went off at some point during the repeat of "Guided Setup".:( Now, I'm just hoping when "Guided Setup" is done that the programs I had scheduled to transfer will resume. When they are done I guess I'll have to check the number of recordings. If they're the same on both boxes, then I'll have to check to see if one of them is a partial.

Good news is that Verizon FiOS doesn't bind the Cablecard to the box. I didn't have to make a phone call to pair again.

Oh FYI on my mentioning the reported power savings from above in the thread. I have all 4 TiVo's attached to a CyberPower UPS with LCD display. Last night while I had the Premieres unplugged doing the drive upgrades the display showed a power draw of 0.063 Kw for the 2 TiVo HD units while neither were recording anything. I won't know the power draw of just the two Premieres until I can get all the recordings transferred off of the TiVo HD's. I'll update the difference in power draw once I complete. Of course the TiVo HD units have 1 TB 7200 RPM drives and the Premieres now have upgraded 1.5 TB WD AV-GP Greenpower drives.

14. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Well the blue light didn't come back on after "Guided Setup" was finished, but the scheduled transfers are still in the "To Do List".:confused: Oddly the second box I just started "Guided Setup" on still has the blue transfer light going well past where the first one stopped. If the light doesn't come back on for the first one soon, I guess I'll just have to cancel all of the scheduled transfers and figure out where I need to pick back up.:(

Update: The transfer light on 2nd box also went out at the "Loading Data" point. It's the same. All transfer still in "To Do List", but just like the first box not resuming. It's been over an hour now and they haven't resumed on the first box. So, guess it's time to clear them out and figure out where they left off.

15. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I'd say give it more time. The Tivo has to process the new information from the setup in the background and it may be delaying transfers until that task is accomplished.
    All the pending transfers in the To Do List, haven't been transferred yet. That's a given. If you decide to cancel transfers, make note of these. They are the ones you are going to have to restart.
    Look in the Recording History - the partial transfers (if there are any) may be listed there.

If the transfers haven't restarted in the next couple of hours, I would try rebooting the Tivos first.
    If that doesn't get the transfers kick-started, then I would start cancelling transfers.

16. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Thanks for the advice. I decided to start cancelling them out and doing them over and after I cancelled the very first one it kick started the rest of them.:rolleyes:

17. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX
    One of the TiVo HD's finished transferring all of its recordings to a Premiere, so I figured I would unplug it. Whoops, unplugged the wrong one and screwed up the transfer of recordings. :mad:

Anyway, I reset the transfers on the interrupted box, but not before checking out the power savings.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I've kept my TiVo's plugged into a CyberPower UPS which displays multiple stats on an LCD. So here goes the power draw verdict.

The two original Tivo HD's were drawing 0.063 Kw......wait for it.....

The two Premiere's are only drawing 0.036 Kw. A 42.86% energy savings :eek:

Now mind you the TiVo HD's had 7200 RPM drives and I upgraded the new Premiere's with WD AV-GP drives, but that doesn't make up for that big of a power savings.

Yeah, so there is an incomplete HDUI and I want it finished along with an enabled 2nd core like everyone else, but as long as I don't run across any major bugs I'm thrilled with my two $99 refurb'd Premiere's!!!!! I'm not an envionmental nut, but I like to do my part for the planet. Plus, something that runs 24/7 consuming 43% less electricity will help the wallet.

18. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Just called and cancelled the two TiVo HD boxes the Premieres have replaced. Man was the rep trying hard to get me to keep them active along with the Premieres.

19. HeatherA

Jan 9, 2002
    Actually it's Wide Open West (WOW) they switched a mere 2 months after we switched from our old provider. If I had known I probably would not have switched, but I'm now glad I did as I found out they don't lock down the copy protection on the cable cards and I'm back to happily using MRV!

Made the Premiere a more exciting purchase just to be able to trf. HD recordings.

20. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    1st, I did say that they had one installed and not a they installed one.
    2nd, why would I say that it's not true that they don't do installs on weekends and use my parents experience of a self install for an example.

Think.