New LCD TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Garth, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Garth

Garth New Member

Mar 14, 2005

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a complete novice when it comes to anything technical so please be gentle. I have taken the plunge with an LCD TV to replace my old CRT job. Will tivo work with the set or do I need to do a 'mode 0' thingy with it?

If I do need to do this is there a service I can pay for that would sort this out as I will probably cause somekind of chain reaction that could end up with ending humanity!!!!!

Many thanks for any help offered!

Gareth

2. terryeden

terryeden TiVo, Tivum, Tiva,

Nov 2, 2002
    Surrey
    Yes, the TV will work with your TiVo.

Make sure that the SCART from the TiVo's "TV" socket is plugged into the TV. In the TiVo's menus, make sure that the SCART is set to RGB (for best quality picture).

If you really want to go with the best picture available, you will need to modify your TiVo. Do you currently have a network card (cachecard) in the TiVo?

3. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    You don't have to, but many LCD TVs look a lot better with TiVo once Mode 0 has been installed as that makes the TiVo output dimensions the same as a standard definition DVD which they are optimised to display well.

I could not possibly comment on that ;)

4. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    A Plasma tv would have been a better choice for continuing to watch your Tivo as a Plasma set seems to cope better with SD stuff (Tivo) than LCDs. Having said that most people with Sony Bravia LCDs seem quite happy using them with their Tivo. Also Plasma tvs only start at 37" (Panasonic only) and you only get a choice of makes at 42" and upwards.

You could get a bigger replacement hard drive with the Mode 0 business already done for you from:-

www.tivocentral.co.uk or www.tivoheaven.co.uk

All that is then needed is a screwdriver and some strong fingers to open your Tivo and unplog the old drive(s) and replace it/them with the new drive. Mode 0 isn't really feasible with the original 40Gb drives that came with your Tivo as that would leave you with only around 10 hours recording capacity compared to 40 hours at more blocky looking (on a new LCD television) Basic mode.

A replacement 300Gb drive or whatever should have more than enough capacity to cope with the extra space used by Mode 0 recordings.

5. Garth

Garth New Member

Mar 14, 2005

Advertisements

Thanks for your input, I have already upgraded my drive to a 160gb so maybe mode O is already done, how could I tell?

Sorry I realy am a bit of an IT dim whit

6. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Where did you get the drive and/or how did you do the upgrade?

7. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    If its one of mine, pressing "0" on the Tivo Central screen will tell you whether mode0 is in use or not.