1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New iOS app out*

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by UCLABB, May 19, 2017.

1. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Haven't looked at it yet. Says bug fixes.

2. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Went ahead and let it update here. I'm not at home and it's telling me "Downloading Not Permitted. The version of software on this streaming device does not support out-of-home downloading." On an OTA channel I've previously streamed out-of-home just fine. Roamio Plus to an iPhone 7 Plus. Same message for streaming (only swapping the words streaming for downloading, and supported for permitted). BTW, I'm on wifi, not cellular. Under Setup>Streaming, all four steps are check and the message beneath says "Ready to stream!".

Good thing I've got a slingbox and only use the tivo transcoder exceptionally rarely.

3. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I can stream unprotected and protected content to my phone (at home right now). Maybe you just need to redo streaming setup when you are back on your home network. I didn't need to do that, though.

4. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    App updated this morning. I'm getting a streaming error on mine trying to stream a dvr program from Roamio to my iphone. I'm on wifi at my lake house currently.. Will have to retry setup later. Rarely use it anymore. Slingbox works so much better. Hopefully Echostar/Dish keeps the slingboxes going.

5. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    It's pretty normal to have to re-do the streaming setup if you haven't used it for a few months. I wish they'd fix that.

rlcarr likes this.
  6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    The Android update required it to be set up again at home as well.

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Unfortunately that's NOT NEW to the app.. Even after I HAVE set it up properly, it sometimes THINKS it can't download out of home.. But then I can almost always, completely away from home, "play around in" the app and convince it that it really is set up properly.. Things like system information, switching between which tivo its looking at (this often fixes things, enough that the experience would be EVEN WORSE for people with only one tivo).

Streaming/downloading is SO INCREDIBLY BUGGY. I actually have figured out some workarounds to various issues (workarounds in that instead of waiting 10 minutes to try each time, I often can wait 3-5 minutes).. more similar things like system information, redoing setup, etc.. e.g. after a download has gotten an error, if the streaming device hasn't crashed (which it does a significant portion of the time, ESPECIALLY for NBC HD recordings), I cannot just tell it to start downloading again, I get one of a few error #s right away.. But if I do system information first, then it often figures it out.. and if system information shows more than ONE item as "unknown", I can often but not always re-setup.. and download a few more megs of a program..

Thus I _usually_ try to get downloads done at home.. but it'd still be useful to be able to download the next episode for example while I was watching one at the gym.

I tried writing up bugs in their support system, and should probably try again, but basically they would go to first level support people who aren't technical and it wouldn't go anywhere. I'm basically positive that at least one of the symptoms is the streamer completely crashing, because it won't show up if I try to setup, AND takes much longer to re-connect (and I sometimes catch it "initializing" in system information many minutes later)... and other issues just seem to be "confusion" between the local app and the tivo end. i.e. it loses connection A LOT, EVEN WHEN I am in the same room as the router & the tivo.. the same one with the streaming device in it!! (and my normal internet connection is NOT losing connection.)

8. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    I still use V3.10. Even though when V3.20 came out last year (yes, it took them a year to make a new one), the buffering was much worse and I would have loved to keep it with the fix to show the whole Status Bar. v3.22 still sometimes has trouble buffering correctly. Tivo has trouble doing things correctly.

At least with Android, you can back the app up, with Rotten Apples there is no way going back to an older version (at least not on my Ipad, which I do not use much).

9. blacknoi

blacknoi Member

Jan 23, 2006
    If you are a jailbreaker, there is an option called "App Admin" that allows you to revert back to older versions of apps. Not a solution for most, but figured it may be helpful to some.

10. VDubb

VDubb New Member

Aug 5, 2007
    I can now stream over cellular!

Edited: And that was short-lived...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 27, 2017