New Instatcaked HD - All good but phone call

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by themadgamer, Jul 22, 2007.

1. themadgamer

themadgamer New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    SE Michigan
    Howdy all!

Great information repository you've got here.

I've got an odd issue that puzzles me. I've searched the forums and I know that I don't need my DTivo to make a phone call to work (I just lose PPV by remote).

My DTivo: Samsung S4040R

History: Started rebooting intermittently a few weeks ago. I did some research and decided to try a new hard drive first. I bought a Segate DB35 80GB and downloaded Instantcake from the dvrupgrade site (no urls, I'm a newb). Burned it to CD and my cake was baked on the new HDD.

I replaced my existing 40GB drive in my Samsung DTivo with the newly imaged 80GB drive and fired her up.

Performed the guided set up and viola! Everything went as expected, found both satellite feeds, locals appeared the next day, double storage capacity. Woohoo!

In reviewing the System Information, I noticed that it hadn't called out. Tried to connect to DVR update, adjust phone settings and area codes, played with different prefixes to slow things down, but nothing works. It fails to dial every time. It failed to let me get a dial up list, the diagnostic phone test and the DVR Service connection.

Each time the failure message was the same: Failed. Could not connect. (at the dialing step)

I don't remember this being an issue on the other drive so I reinstalled the original drive. It successfully completed all of the steps mentioned above.

Summary:

Samsung S4040R - Still intermittent reboots with either drive
    Original HDD successfully uses modem to call in
    New HDD does everything except use the modem to call in

Both of them have version 6.2a of the software. Original HDD from DTV, new HDD from InstantCake. both placed in the same Samsung DTivo with the same phone line and jack, one works and one doesn't.

I've ruled out modem failure, phone line or jack issues.

Thoughts? I didn't do a C&DE because teh InstantCake instructions said I didn't need to and I didn't get any hardware errors.

Thanks,
    MJ

2. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Why not burn a boot cd of tiger's tools to do a back up and restore of your original 40gb to use the new 80 gb drive and expand the drive to use all 80 gb. Just follow the Hinsdale How to instructions.

3. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
  4. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    That's a red flag right there. The fact that you seem to be able to dial out with the original drive, and not the new one may be an indication that the software on each of them is in a different state, but the fact that you are getting the reboots may be an indication that the problems you are having are hardware related, and possibly not the drive.

Just to rule out drive issues, you should run full diags on each of the drives to be sure. It is also possible that you have a problem with both of the drives and that the one you used for InstantCake is causing the dial out problem.

5. hyde76

hyde76 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Instantcake rule # 1. after putting in the new drive you must do a clear and delete everything. it should work after that. will take between 1 and 2 hours. If the documentation said not to do a C&DE, it was wrong. Do it and you'll fix your problem.

6. fasternu

fasternu New Member

Mar 23, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    one day my tivo hung while deleting 2 recordings that were in the middle of transferring. I did a repeat guided set up,then clear and delete and guided setup but when I attempt to record or go to now playing list I get a msg that tivo needs phone line to establish dvr service. Is this req'd? I have never had a phone line and never seen this error until now. I have instant cake installed w/mrv. I also have the units networked and on the internet so a phone line should not be necessary. any advice??

7. kb7sei

kb7sei New Member

Oct 4, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    Superpatch and forget the phone call exists. Mine haven't dialed in (or complained about it) since I did that about 2 years ago.

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    [rant]
    Where's the original poster?
    Did he get it working?
    People want to know. :)
    [/rant]

9. redram38

redram38 New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    TN
    I am having the same problem with the phone call except I have not upgraded or switched anything. It just won't complete the phone call. I started a diff thread because I did not see this but it started happening about the same time as your post. Did you get it to call in ? and if so what did you do ?