New HR20 DVR will be FREE....if you are a 'select' customer

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by newsposter, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jan 6, 2006 #1 of 69
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    http://gear.ign.com/articles/679/679224p1.html

excerpt:

Owners of the TiVo HD DVR have been forced to give up many of the added features of TiVo Series 2 units. The HR20, in contrast, promises to deliver many of the special extras of today's updated DVRs. The device features two DirecTV inputs, two ATSC tuners, one satellite in, an HDMI input, a component input, a composite input, and a digital/coaxial out. Interestingly, the HR20 also includes not one, but two Ethernet ports - we asked why, and a rep on hand said we would have to wait and see. It also boasts two USB 2.0 ports for future connectivity. The box enables users to record two sources from either DirecTV or ATSC - even at the same time.

That's all good and fine, but when does the HR20 finally come out and how much is it going to cost? DirecTV would not give us a firm date, but it did state that the unit will definitely be available in Q2 2006. "Really Q2, we swear," a spokesperson told us. Meanwhile, we're able to report some fantastic news for early adopters who picked up a DirecTV TiVo HD DVR. DirecTV reps confirmed to us today that the HR20 will be made available "completely free of charge" to select HD TiVo owners as soon as the former becomes available. By select, the company means owners who live in the PST or MT areas of the United States, as these regions will be the first to make the switch to MPEG-4 broadcasts. HD TiVo owners who live in other parts of the US can either wait a little longer for the same deal or purchase the HR20 for only $99 smackers. Brand new customers will pay approximately $200 for the device and will get a significant mail-in rebate, according to DirecTV.

------------

first off, um...wasn't Detroit first...and Philly has been up for a few months and is NOT in the PST or MT zones. And NY is up now also. I think those 2 cities combine to have about 9 million people right? Where do they get these spokespeople? How rude to exclude us East coasters. Another attempt at alienation I guess. And I don't understand what they are saying to 'wait a little longer' for free or purchase it for 99 bucks? I'm assuming they mean if you wait for their official rollout it's free but I'm sure most of us wouldn't mind paying 99 to get it sooner, as they are inferring. What a setup without any basis I can see.

Do you read it like that? Or am I missing something? And how in the heck can they sell this for 200 new when the tivo was 1K?

A positive is it appears we all get to keep our Hdtivos!

2. Jan 6, 2006 #2 of 69
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Untill I see it in a Press Release... I am going to take it with a "spoon full" of salt.

As there are more few things in the IGN posting that just don't make sense... (especial the "areas" that will get it for free... PST and MT will get it for free, because they are the only ones with LIL HD? (as you pointed out)

Last time I check.. Chicago was in either of those TimeZones...

3. Jan 6, 2006 #3 of 69
    A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    ???

4. Jan 6, 2006 #4 of 69
    newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    basically, you can record 2 things in any combo...directv, analog, digital.

5. Jan 6, 2006 #5 of 69
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    I think he was getting at the "INPUTS" vs them being "OUTPUTS" of the unit.

(other sites have been pointing that, and the fact that IGN often makes typos like that.

6. Jan 6, 2006 #6 of 69
    jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    My guess is that if you have an HR10-250, they'll want to keep you as a customer, and you'll get a free 5-LNB dish and one HR20, when HD Locals are available for your DMA. If the HR20 works reasonably well, and I can get it free, I'm going for it. I'm tired of the OTA problems I've had and am not interested in plunking down $500-800 for a Series 3 Tivo.

If you don't have an HR10-250, they'll probably want you to pay for the 5-LNB dish and HR20, and how much will depend on how long you've been a customer and what equipment you already own (non-DVR HD D* receivers will probably net you a price break).

7. Jan 6, 2006 #7 of 69
    newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    How do you feel about not getting WB UPN PBS on satellite? See, I can't live without wb upn for the fact that i'm getting 'incomplete' service from dtv.

8. Jan 6, 2006 #8 of 69
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    My "Guess" is that is a contractual issue thing...
    They probably somehow got an agreement with the 4 big parent networks, and got it to trickle down to the affiliates.

And they haven't gotten there with WB and UPN...

Normally WB and UPN are on smaller affiliates in towns (when compared to other cities)
    (Certainly the case here in Chicago for UPN, not so for WB since they are WGN )

There certainly has to be a reason though, I don't think DirecTV would just arbitrarily say... JUST THOSE 4... no one watches the others.... Probably is... Unless we get onto the inside, we will never know.

9. Jan 6, 2006 #9 of 69
    TheBigDogs

TheBigDogs Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, as a left coaster, I'm delighted, assuming it happens.

That said, I really have to wonder if Ruppert has slipped into early stage Alzheimers. This has got to be one of the dumbest announcements ever.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

10. sp1dey

sp1dey New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    That's a sticking point for me... I'm able to get the major 4 plus WB solid OTA but not UPN or PBS. Don't really care about UPN, but PSB kind of hurts. If things go down like this, as in, free upgrade I'm all in for a try. I'll just keep my antenna up for WB and hope for the best. If I'm not satisifed with D at that point and the new HD DVR doesn't live up to my expectations, I'm happy that Tivo will be releasing an alternative. I still feel like the sky is the limit for what D can do once all the sats are off the ground. Currently, Comcast does offer a better HD lineup in my area and the Series 3 Tivo is appealing, but if D eventually delivers it should easily surpass Comcast.

Bottom line, D has me for now and through the upgrade, if they fail to deliver on their promises after that... guess things will be Comcastic!

11. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    i think the story is full of typos and misunderstandings. But i thin kthe western half of hte country first makes sense.

Perhaps D* plans to get everyone west off MPEg2 first so they can dump the LA MPEG2 feeds that everyone in LA and the O&O and DNS markets in the west get. That would get them half the bandwidth from NYU/LA feeds in half the time rather then all the bandwidth in twice the time if they attempt the whole country at once.

12. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    But this wasn't a "DirecTV" announcement.

This was an IGN writer, reporting what he was told or overheard or what ever.

If this was an actually Press Relese... It would have a whole lot of legal mumbo jumbo, plus a paragraph telling us how long DirecTV has been in business :D

13. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

But then you exclude the #1 and #3 DMAs (New York and Chicago) from that process.... At least then offer me a $99 credit, when you do offer it free to Chicago.

14. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    Don't forget the part about how cool Rupert is and that we should all bow and kiss his ring. ;)

15. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    I don't want to be an early adopter of the HR20 if it means giving up my HR10-250, since at launch the HR20 is more than likely going to be inferior and more bug-laden than the HR10-250. So what do you think, with this free to select customers deal would they ask us to trade in our HR10-250 for an HR20, or are they going to give us an HR20 and let us keep our HR10-250? If the answer is trade in, why would I trade in a DVR that I paid $850 for, for one that is so cheap? Why not just buy the HR20 for $99 or $200 (or whatever their offer is to existing non HR10-250 customers) and keep the HR10-250. The only reason I can think of is if the HR10-250 is going to become obsolete soon, but with the speed at which D* seems to move I can't imagine that happening any time soon. Even if the HR10-250 were to stop getting D*'s HD channels, I still pick up all the networks via ATSC so the unit could still be useful to me if it had a better interface than the HR20. Even as an SD TiVo the thing has a huge hard drive.

It would be nice to be able to keep the HR10-250 and also give the HR20 a shot. This would help me in deciding whether to jump ship to Comcast in order to stay with the TiVo software.

16. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I've not been around here long,but i can't fathom a trade in thing. Too much logistical nightmares.

17. ChrisW6ATV

ChrisW6ATV New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Hayward,...
    This one is not hard to answer. Unlike when the HR10-250 was released, any new HD box "purchased" will require a two-year programming commitment, to one of DirecTV's full packages. That is something like $1200 in programming cost at the absolute minimum, without any premium movie channels or the HD package. And remember, the two-year timer restarts if you have to exchange the box under warranty.

Also, unlike the HR10 and all older DirecTV HD receivers, this one will include the "shut-off" ability so you probably will not be able to use it for OTA-only if you cancel your DirecTV service even after the two years are up.

18. RightHere

RightHere Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Why are people saying that DTV is providing "incomplete" service? Reading the specs, I see OTA tuners. So if you have the current HD DVR, it's the same for some channels, better for others. In other words, it sounds more complete than what they currently offer.

19. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    Their LIL HD offering is incomplete. The only reason to get MPEG-4 is for LIL. The only reason to get LIL is because you can't get the complete local HD offering OTA.

So what does DirecTV do? Give us an incomplete LIL HD offering. This has zero impact on people who get everything OTA, since it's useless to them anyway. But their target market, who is looking for a complete LIL HD package, gets screwed.

DirecTV misses the boat again.

It sure seems like, with a tiny bit of work, the Series 3 Tivo could be made to support DirecTV. It also supports MPEG-4 playback, so it's got everything it needs.

But screw 'em (DirecTV). Give me a Series 3 + FIOS TV, and I'm super happy.

20. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I rather find myself agreeing with you. I just don't understand why DirecTV thinks half-assed LIL HD in markets is going to help attract customers.

What they're doing is giving me reason to consider that I really can do without both DirecTV and Cable once I have a dual tuner HD TiVo supporting ATSC OTA. I most certainly can cut down my subscription to the bare minimum just to keep access to the handful of cable channels I need in addition to OTA. Money isn't really the issue as much as I'm beginning to simply feel the need to not let DirecTV get my money anymore, with some of the boneheaded moves they've been making of late. It just seems that I'm in this holding pattern perpetually wiating yet one more year for things they should've and could've had a year or two earlier.