New HR20 coming soon.What to do with HR10-250s?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by aVOLanche, Jul 17, 2007.

1. aVOLanche

aVOLanche New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Beautiful...

Advertisements

I have a install scheduled for an HR20 and 5-lnb dish.I currently have *two* HR10-250s.The new HR20 will replace one HR10-250 and the other will remain on my account(I need receivers in only 2 rooms).What should I do with the other HR10-250 assuming they leave it behind?

I planned on storing it as a back-up for the still-active HR10-250.If I keep it,but don't show it as active,will it function at all?Is there anything I need to do to it before the installer arrives(unplug?remove card,etc.)to be able to see OTA or recordings?I assume it won't record unless it is on account with D*?

Thanks for any help!
    Fred

2. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Whether or not they leave the spare HR10 is determined by whether or not you purchased it outright or leased it from DIRECTV, and maybe also on the deal you made with DIRECTV when you got the HR20. If you leased the HR10, they take it back. If you got a discounted or free HR20 in exchange for an HR10, they take it back. I would call DIRECTV to confirm what the status of your HR10 is.

If you get to keep it, here's what you can do with it:

- hold on to it to finish playing all shows from your playlist
    - reactivate it and put it on another TV somewhere or even have two receivers on one TV (if you have enough inputs)
    - sell it on eBay or elsewhere

3. aVOLanche

aVOLanche New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Beautiful...
    I do get to keep it(it was purchased back when they were $999)!If it's not "activated",will I still be able to do OTA with it?Thanks.

4. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    make sure you disconnect the satellite cables BEFORE you unsubscribe it. that will keep a nag screen from coming up if you have stuff left to watch on there.

you can use it as ota tuner only and must enter all numbers manually. No guide or other info will be available to you. if your ABC was 6-1, it may now be something like 45-1 because it's not remapped

5. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000

Advertisements

Why not just keep it on the same TV as the HR20 will go and have 4 tuners and both capable of network OTA HD (which I'd gather is probably most of your recording like most of us). Then you can record 4 OTA HD channels at once and really sample the fall season. ;)

6. stiffi

stiffi New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Charm City
    How do you enter in the dashes on the remote?

7. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    the 30 second skip-tick button

8. aVOLanche

aVOLanche New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Beautiful...
    Do you mean to unhook the satellite cables(coming from from the lnbs) right before the installer arrives(so that when he calls D*,it will be unplugged)?

9. gio1269

gio1269 "HR20 Army"

Jul 27, 2006
    From what I was told personally and heard form any others, D* is telling people to keep there HR10. They do NOT want them back.

10. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA

yes unscrew them from you receiver so the unit doesnt get the 'shut off' notice from DTV. You will not see the 'insert card ' message then once you unsub

11. Robozepp

Robozepp New Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Ft....

I'm not too sure this will work. I have an HR10-250 and wanted to playback a recorded HD program outside of my house for a friend that does not have D*. I took the disconnected unit to his house and hooked it up to his TV, hoping to view the recorded program from the Now Playing list. But, upon powering up, the first screen I got was the "Searching for Satellite Signal" gray screen. The very first thing that the 10-250 does when you power it up is confirm that it can communicate with the satellite so it can download program and account information. I tried to over-ride it by going to menu and setting up OTA only, but it wouldn't let me. I could never get past the "Searching for Sat signal" screen. I suspect that you will have the same problem if you disconnect service to your 10-250 and then try to go back and watch only OTA programming and archived programs from your Now Playing list.

Try experimenting with it now. But, unless you run a 2nd line and keep it active (for another $5/month for the "extra receiver"), I don't think it will work.

12. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i know you can use it as a tuner but i'm too lazy to search. There have been at least 3 threads the past month on it and it shouldn't be too hard to find the particulars