New here, may I get some help??

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by NFLVIDEO, Apr 25, 2007.

1. NFLVIDEO

NFLVIDEO New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Does Tivo have a picture in picture mode that I can access

2. Krosis

Krosis The Bearded One TCF Club

May 9, 2004
    Illinois
    Direct Tivos don't, but you can use your TVs PiP feature if you hook things up in certain ways. Actually, with Tivo there is little need for PiP.

3. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    If you are asking about Directv/Tivo's then certain models do have the PiP. The later model 2's and 2.5 (R10).

As for the SA Tivo's, I do not beleive they have this feature.

The Newer Standard Receivers by Directv - the D10, 11 and 12 also have this feature.

And, welcome to the forum :D

4. NFLVIDEO

NFLVIDEO New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    I'm getting a new tv that does not have the pip mode, any suggestions. Thanks in advance

5. NFLVIDEO

NFLVIDEO New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    I have the hughes model . Idon't know the model number. Its about 3 years old.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    I don't know about your R10 DirecTivo, but I'm pretty sure that mine does not have any sort picture-in-picture feature. You would need a DirecTivo PLUS a standard Receiver connected to two different video inputs on your TV to have PIP. Of course, some TVs only support PIP using their internal tuners, not two different video inputs.

7. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    No, this is wrong. D* receivers with TiVo do NOT have PiP. In fact, they only have one output, so there is no way you can view two channels at once with one box. SA TiVos are the same, even the DT box.

The OP states that his new TV does not have PiP, so the video source is irrelevant.

For information, PiP comes in two basic flavors. Cheaper versions require a second tuner (VCR, DVR, etc.) to be connected in order to display two different pics. Better models have a second tuner built in and can switch between the two at will without having another video source. Of course, as Litxdog says, you'd need two D* receivers to get PiP from a satellite source.

8. NFLVIDEO

NFLVIDEO New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Thank you for all the helpful info. This is a great forum. By the way where can I find the Tivo easter eggs and or hacks pages

9. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    ;)

10. litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    In the "Tivo Underground Forum". Check out this thread at the top of that forum ....
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=122090

11. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    So how would you explain the "Interactive Content" on Directv's receivers?

Heres a Quote taken from a Page about Directv/Tivo units.

"DirecTV is upgrading the D10 receivers to receive "interactive content," Ekstedt said, which is causing the problem. On certain channels, the D10 boxes can display up to six programs at one time, and viewers can watch all six or switch between them."

When you have all 6 up and open, or even 2 or 3 is this not Picture in Picture?

And this is for the D10, of course the D11/12 have this feature to.

Heres the Full Story, and Yes it is about Directv and Tivo.

Web Page

12. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    This is NOT PiP. It is what it says - interactive programming.

Picture in picture is where you can show two or more different sources that YOU select, not what is thrust upon you by the provider. AFAIK, you can't select WHICH six channels you see or even select two of them over any others. You also can't move them around.

13. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    And a D10 is not a R10

14. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    What do those non-Tivo boxes have to do with what is discussed here?

Those are discussed at the other forum!
    http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82

15. litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...

The response to the original question suggested that these standalone receivers had PIP capability. They do not.

No worries.