New here and have some questions before buying

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jonjonbear, Sep 12, 2007.

1. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Hello group.
    Haven't been here in a long time..The new HD stuff is all new to me but want to check with you all to see if the new box will do what I need..
    Currently I have Timewarner cable and have their explorer 8000HD box and have had nothing but trouble so now that Tivo has a lower price box I might be able to afford.
    Question is this..I see the connections on the back of the box allow component/HDMI connections to your HIDef set or regular connections via RCA for a non hidef set..Are all of these connections live or do you have to turn them on for your application?
    What I would like to do is hook the box up to my Hidef TV in my living room with the component connections, use some sort of converter to convert the regular AV outputs to Coax to run to my porch TV. When We built the house I had coax run which I can patch from behind my main TV, from there it goes out to the porch. But before purchasing I am hoping someone here may have done something similar. My plan is for the other TV just to be an extension of the main one (watching the same program) so I am not trying to set up a multi room/program setup.
    Is this possible?
    Thanks in advance!
    John

2. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Wow thanks!
    I would have searched but wasn't sure what to call it. Looks like as long as I can find a good composite to coax converter I will be okay.
    Sounds like the HDMI issue won't be a problem as we always have the big TV on and would only have the porch TV on when out there.

Thanks for supplying me these links to look through..
    John

3. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    The "converter" is actually called an "rf modulator". If you still have a VCR laying around you can use it for that purpose. Hook up the Tivo's composite and audio outputs to the VCR's inputs. The VCR will put the video/audio out over TV channel 3 (or 4-it's usually selectible).

I think Radio Shack still sells rf modulators. If not, do a Google search and you will probably find many, maybe cheaper.

4. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Hi AJ,
    Thanks for the tip..I actually do have one not being used..I'll give it a try first..
    Thanks so much!
    John