new hdtivo - will it work w/o cable box?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by aud, Dec 23, 2008.

1. aud

aud New Member

Oct 15, 2006

Advertisements

I just got a new hdtivo; got thru setup and channel scan.
    I get my cable via Comcast, but I get "analog" cable.
    I do not have a cable box. I also have a Sony S1 tivo
    that still works fine.
    We have a HD tv into which I plug the cable (from the wall).
    I then get many subchannels (e.g. 9.1, 9.2, 9.3).

When I completed my channel scan on my HDtivo, I do not
    get the digital subchannels. Am I supposed to? What have
    I done wrong?

thanks for any help!

audrey

2. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I also have an Sony S1 and an HD tivo.
    1. The HD Tivo does not work with a cable box
    2. You will most likely NOT get guide data for the digital channels :(

If you read the "TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs" forum you will find threads with hundreds or thousands of replies regarding this issue. Unfortunately the only way for your TivoHD to work is to rent a cable card. It may mean you have to upgrade to digital tier, pay the cable card fee, pay for a digital outlet and also pay for a truck roll.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The THD will work without a cable box and analog cable, just make sure its hooked to the cable coax jack and not antenna. Next,redo guided setup for the analog cable.

Cable cards are only needed if you have digital cable; and only uses either 1 M-card or 2 S-cards.

You can also get OTA channels as well as cable, ie: channels 2.1,4.1, 5.1....

4. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Another possibility is to get your locals in HD with an antenna, and the cable channels via the cable company. That way you'd get the proper guide data for the locals in HD, and for the cable channels. Doing that here with our Series 3. We didn't care for the national cable HD feeds we were paying an exhorbitant amount for, that we didn't watch. YMMV.

5. Pixel

Pixel Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Wisconsin

Advertisements

I have an THD as well. The cable provides only the analog channels (99 and lower at my house). I get the high def digital locals fron an antenna. I use the antenna Tivo sells on it's website. At my house I'm not too far (~18 miles) from the transmitting antenna and I've positioned the antenna in my attic.

I've made a comparison of the cable co. provided high def picture of the local channels and the one I can get OTA. In my opinion, I think the one from my antenna is clearer and sharper. YMMV.

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Last night, I accidently knocked the antenna cable off and didn't notice. The THD later recorded Leno as if nothing had happened, although it wouldn't show on the TV. I reconnected the cable later on. :rolleyes:Odd.

7. aud

aud New Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Thanks for the pointers and help, all!
    I ended up doing a channel scan, and that, at least, gave
    me the subchannels, even though Tivo doesn't have any
    guide data for them.

Realized that there's no decimal point on the remote! The
    channel scan (which said it scanned 300+ channels) did not
    scan all the channels I receive via my TV's tuner. Oh well!
    It's better than before.

thanks again!

8. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Use the '->|' button to place decimal or dash.

9. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Since you are new to TiVo, see my post right here for a few TiVo tips. That will help you take advantage of some unique TiVo functionality.

10. mgchan

mgchan New Member

Dec 4, 2005
    My TiVo did pick up some of the digital channels (89-114, 89-115 which are CBS HD and another local HD channel). However my TV's QAM tuner picks up several others (7-1, 4-1, 11-1) which correspond to ABC HD, NBC HD, Fox HD.

Any thoughts on why this might be happening? It would make more sense if I didn't get ANY digital channels.

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Most likely those dashed/decimal channels are Over the air if you have a antenna hooked to the antenna jack as well as cable hooked to the cable side.

12. mgchan

mgchan New Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Well, I do not have an antenna attached to the TV or the TiVo, so I can't see how my TV should be able to pick up OTA channels while my TiVo cannot.

13. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Your local networks aren't actually on QAM 4-1, 5-1, 7-1, etc. Those are virtual channel numbers created from PSIP information that is transmitted along with the channel on its real QAM number (typically somewhere between 70 and 110).

The TiVo does not support those remapped / virtual channel numbers from PSIP. All remapping on the TiVo is done with the guide information provided by Tribune Media. Tribune Media provides that virtual channel information for off-air channels from an antenna, but not for QAM. With digtal cable (QAM) channels on the TiVo, you need a CableCard to remap channels to the appropriate numbers in the cable company's lineup.

To take full advantage of a TiVo with digital cable, you really need to get a CableCard. A CableCard (MCARD) from Comcast should add between $1.50 and $3.00 to your monthly bill if you don't have digital cable. Sometimes it can be difficult to convince a rep to give you one without digital cable; in that case, you can order digital cable on a promotion, get the CableCard, and then cancel digital cable. They won't require you to return the card; you'll just get billed every month for it.

14. aud

aud New Member

Oct 15, 2006
    maybe all of you know this already, but I just learned this
    (from a friend @ Tivo) - he just cancelled his digital
    cable - he now uses an antenna to get ota digital channels.

I didn't know that the TivoHD (which is what I also have) has
    an internal converter, so no converter box is needed. And,
    Tivo supplies the guide data for the antenna channels!

I also have a Sony Series 1 that's still working great, EXCEPT
    for the remote. My original remote is wearing out! The key
    for the TV power no longer works (though all the other keys
    still work fine). So, I keep the TV's remote alongside the
    Tivo remote. I'll post this elsewhere, too, but do any of
    you fine folks know of a cheaper replacement remote than
    they advertise at weaknees?

Thanks again!

audrey

15. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Get a good universal, most have Sony TiVo codes.

16. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This is correct, and you can record 2 channels at once from antenna or cable, without OTA converter box or cable boxes.

If/when you get digital cable, you would need either 1 M (multi) stream cable card, or 2 S (single) stream cable cards, where they would go, there is a panel on the front bottom edge door which opens downwards, labeled slot 1 (on right) and slot 2 (on left). Slot 1 takes either M or S card, but slot 2 only take a S-Card. Sooner or later, there will be tuner adapters from the cable co, which plugs in to between the cable antenna and tivo cable input jack, and also into the usb jack (I believe that controls the adapter).

Have fun with your new toy! :D