New HD using Mac

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by teasip, Jan 1, 2010.

1. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002

Advertisements

I'm interested in potentially upgrading one of my two TiVo HD's. If I use an external drive hub to load the new HD, load WinXP through VM Fusion, and then re-boot from WinXP using IC CD should I have any problems cloning my OEM HD?

2. bru_man

bru_man Member

Feb 19, 2002
    You should look at pyTivo, it has a web interface to select the stuff you want to pull down.

3. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    I have PyTiVo loaded on my MacBook but I was interested in upgrading the HD size, as well as having an emergency backup disk if the HD were to go bad. I guess the primary question I'm asking is have others used the Windows based programming through VM Fusion, or Parallels for that matter, on a Mac to upgrade/clone their TiVo HD drives to a new drive?

4. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    The process used by Instantcake is to boot from a Linux Based CD, don't know that a Mac will do this, have nothing to do with VM Fusion etc. Maybe someone from DVRupgrade can comment.

5. novame

novame New Member

Dec 28, 2009

Advertisements

I just upgraded my stock TivoHD this weekend via my MacBook. I booted from MFSLive on a Linux disc using two external eSata to USB adaptors. Took about 2 to 3 hours to copy everything over from the stock 160GB to the new 1TB.

I looked into using VMFusion or Parallels, but it was more complicated than simply avoiding either in the first place by using a Linux boot CD with MFSLive on it. No need to use Windows for the upgrade.

6. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    novame, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the input.

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Though unfortunately you do have to use Windows if you use a certain size drive or bigger (AFAIK it is > 1 TB). I asked that question and confirmed it in the main upgrade thread a while ago. In other words, the CLI tools don't handle the "current" cheapo drives (1.5 TB) fully.

8. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Correct.

If you prepare e a >1.1TB drive in MFSLive, the TiVo won't work correctly. It would reboot every five minutes.

As long as you stick to a drive that is 1.1TB or smaller, MFSLive works fine.

9. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    I had thought about using a 1TB drive only, which based on what I'm reading here would work fine using a Linux boot disc, external drive bay, and one of the listed HD's in the upgrade thread, along with MFSLive.