New HD UI - Is it ever going to be finished?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by philhu, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Apr 6, 2011 #1 of 140
    philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    Well, it has been months since the Premiere Tivo was introduced and it was years before it was introduced.

Just who does a guy have to F**k to get the UI finished? (Line stolen from The Producers :))

They literally have had YEARS to get this working. They still haven't turned on dual-core, so we have a slow interface designed for dual-core.

We have a menu system that drops back into the old menu system on any menu 2 levels down.

They promised new versions with 'significant upgrades'. Anyone seen them?

The product seems half finished, and I am back to SD menus

2. Apr 6, 2011 #2 of 140
    curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Forget "months", actually this month it's been a YEAR and no changes to the UI toward finishing it. The product IS half-finished and super-buggy.

I highly recommend tweeting @tivodesign about it. I haven't received any answers except "it will get better" (when?) and "I understand your frustration" (okay...), but maybe you can do better.

3. Apr 6, 2011 #3 of 140
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It's doubtful it will ever be finished on this platform. My guess is the next generation of TiVo SA hardware will see a more complete UI.

4. Apr 6, 2011 #4 of 140
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I'll agree with your guess and make one of my own. No new TiVo SA hardware as long as it has to use cable cards and if a good replacement (good for us & TiVo not the cable & Satellite companies) for cable cards isn't developed TiVo is done in the SA DVR market. :(

Thanks,

5. Apr 6, 2011 #5 of 140
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I've lost any confidence that the Premiere will ever be finished. We have to be satisfied or (dissatisfied) with the product as it stands now.

As far as Tivo ever producing another SA box, it really doesn't matter to me as I don't plan on buying another one unless it's finished before I purchase it and the likelihood of that is poor. It's just sloppy to deliver a product half-finished and has damaged this company and tarnished its brand.

They stopped innovating years ago and are just coasting on the work done a decade ago.

The best thing they could do at this point is to get out of the DVR business entirely, and become a patent-holding/licensing company.

6. Apr 6, 2011 #6 of 140
    Goober96

Goober96 Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    If you use your Tivo mostly to view recorded content and not play around in the menus, it really doesn't matter. As far as I'm concerned, it IS finished and works great.

7. Apr 6, 2011 #7 of 140
    smbaker

May 24, 2003
    The problem is with the use of the word 'finished'. Taking for example the definition from dictionary.com:

The word doesn't actually require completeness (definition #3 somewhat depressingly sums up the current state of the Premiere), leading to the repeated straw-man argument that "it does what I use it for, therefore it's finished". It's much like when every child tells his parents that he's "finished" with his homework. The child by definition has finished with his homework because he has stopped working on it, which is not the question the parent meant to ask.

What the OP meant to ask was, "Is the HDUI ever going to be complete?"

The Premiere was sold as having a HD user interface. I think we can all agree that the HDUI is not complete. Part of it is in high-definition, part of it is not.

8. Apr 6, 2011 #8 of 140
    Stevesreed

Stevesreed Member

Jun 24, 2002
    I think at best you cans say it's mostly finished.

If all you want is basic watch recorded video, an old Series 3 is more than enough for you.

The Premiere is advertised as having an HD interface, it does not. It is supposed to support "Netflix Streaming", but it's buggy and not integrated into the interface. The unfinished menus are not just for "playing around", but are required for various real features of the device, including setting it up. I could go on and on.

Really, even saying it's "mostly" finished is being too generous.

9. Apr 6, 2011 #9 of 140
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    So a vcr does the same ting. Tivo advertised a HDui but did not deliver it to a lot of people. It only half finished.

10. Apr 6, 2011 #10 of 140
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    No, it has been over a year

Good question, no answer. It might never be finished. They can't work the bugs out of the Premiere, which is an even higher priority.

We don't know how long they were working on it before it was released. And there is absolutely no evidence the "interface" was designed for "dual core". In fact, is is highly probable the UI was NOT designed to be threaded and would barely benefit at all from having two cores operational.

That will likely never change. Besides, updating Netflix would be far more important to most people, I bet.

Not really. A few bugs fixed, then a few more bugs introduced. A few "who cares" features added. Nothing of great consequence.

It is somewhat finished. But going to the SD menus certainly doesn't fix everything, unfortunately. I have lost all confidence in TiVo now and will not recommend it highly like I used to. If you buy one, you have to expect it will be no different a year or two years from now.

Depending on your expectations, the Premiere can be anywhere from "OK" to "horrible". I am near the "OK" mark, myself- mostly because I only use the SD interface and just think of the Premiere as a SLIGHT upgrade over the TiVo HD. It is certainly not "great" or "wonderful" or "wow", and was not worth the money and harassment upgrading from the HD.

11. Apr 6, 2011 #11 of 140
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you bought a Premiere, some would say you've already been "F**k" ed.:)

12. Apr 6, 2011 #12 of 140
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Now that actually made me LOL! :D

But in all honesty, I don't regret my purchase of the Premiere. I am able to enjoy 720p, 1080i and 1080p content that would otherwise choke my Series 3 (TCD648250). I no longer even attempt to "push" such content to the Series 3, and deem all high bitrate content "Series 4" only. My Series 3 still receives commercial-cut broadcast content from kmttg & pyTivo (hats off to William McBrine and Kevin Moye for providing such awesome open-source applications.) All of the TiVo DVRs continue to serve it's purpose in my household; from my Series 2 that serves as a security camera recorder, to the Series 3 and Premiere that record and playback HD content from my antenna and internet sources.

13. Apr 6, 2011 #13 of 140
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    They have added significantly more value to the Premiere (and other models) than TiVo has since the box's release. :up:

14. Apr 7, 2011 #14 of 140
    smbaker

May 24, 2003
    If only the Premiere would have been 'hackable' like the early S1. Some of our own innovators on this forum would have added streaming, completed the HDUI, and probably done half dozen other things nobody at Tivo has ever though of. (of course, the CCI bit would have also been neutered)

and +1 on pyTivo. It's given me more added value than the S3->S4 transition by far.

15. Apr 7, 2011 #15 of 140
    rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I was such a huge Tivo supporter having owned 3 S2 units and now 2 Premier. It feels to me like they have given up and we've been abandoned. This is a company that has gone from first to worst (in my opinion).

16. Apr 7, 2011 #16 of 140
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It's certainly not the worst and it is still the first based on the DVRs I've seen from Comcast, FiOS, DirecTV, DISH, and Moxi. I would not want to replace my Premieres with any of those boxes.

17. Apr 7, 2011 #17 of 140
    greenpad

greenpad New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    How do you play 1080p? It is greyed out as an option on my box, and although I had read that Amazon.com movies would be 1080p, the last HD one I rented was 720p (iirc). Thanks.

18. Apr 7, 2011 #18 of 140
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I believe you actually have to have 1080P content for the Premiere to play - it will not up-convert non-1080P content.

Thanks,

19. Apr 7, 2011 #19 of 140
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Have it manually test the resolutions. Once 1080P24 is tested and passes, it will be selected instead of being grayed out.

20. Apr 7, 2011 #20 of 140
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Depends what your priorities are... DirecTV, FiOS TV DVR (IMG 1.9), and Moxi have much better whole home (streaming) implementations. DISH has a built-in Slingbox. All the above, other than Moxi, have official iPhone apps.. unlike TiVo. Some of the above allow external/expanded storage from any brand. Basically, TiVo is not the clear cut front runner the way they used to be... there are some (not all) solid alternatives out there. I'd say TiVo is still the most reliable, best guide data, and has TiVo To Go for folks who can and want to use it. But there's not this huge chasm unless you're running something like the old SARA.

Back to the topic at hand, it looks like the Virgin version of the HDUI has been completed... or is at least more complete than what we have on the Premiere. So hopefully we benefit from that work at some point - the new guide looks good.

[​IMG]