New HD TiVo, new subscriber, March 06 lease only?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by RickStrobel, Jan 20, 2006.

1. RickStrobel

RickStrobel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2000

Advertisements

I was waiting to see what TiVo offered at CES before deciding if I should go with DirecTV and the HD TiVo. There's a lot of things I hate about my Motorola DVR with cable, and I've got the latest version the 6412 v3. The worst thing is how slow it is to begin playing again from being paused.

Finally saw a working HD TiVo demo (at CompUSA of all places) and was able to pause and back-skip an NBA game in HD. Very smooth. Got to thinking about DirecTV again.

Now, I come here and see that D* is going to an all lease program in March. How will this affect new customers who want to start out with an HD TiVo?

NOTE: I'm quite familiar with the MPEG4 stuff coming and what that means. I'm looking to be able to use a TiVo for about a year. The Series 3 is supposed to be out in the second half of the year. I'm not holding my breath, and want HD TiVo now.

2. mikeny

mikeny New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Where have you read this? I believe this is false.

3. RickStrobel

Jan 19, 2000
  4. mikeny

mikeny New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks. I just found the thread. OK. It looks like if you want to own your equipment, you'll need to before March, right? Wow. I hadn't read that.

5. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Advertisements

Some additional interpritations of that thread, lead to believe... that you can still BUY your equipment if you truelly want it... Just, it may cost a whole lot more or be very difficult to find somewhere to actually make the purchase.

6. RickStrobel

Jan 19, 2000
    So will I still be able to get an HD TiVo by leasing it in March? Or do I need to buy one by Feb 28th?

7. old7

old7 That's all I know! TCF Club

Aug 7, 2002
    Medford, Oregon
    I think DirecTV is going to have to have an option for people who bought their equipment on Ebay or from a yard sale. It would be hard to convince me to lease equipment that I just bought.

-Old7

8. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    The interface supposedly gets VERY slow after the drive gets somewhat full. I don't have one myself but have read that here.

9. qposner

qposner New Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Any idea what they will charge to lease? I don't hack, so thats not a concern of mine. If the lease cost is comparable to the mirror fee and I don't have to lay out a large sum of cash, it may not be a bad thing.

10. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    Definitely gets slow with over..oh 30 SP or so plus a bunch of wishlists etc. Guide was painfully slow right out of the box though. I actually have fewer programs but more hard drive space taken up with the HD tivo because of the HD programs of course. But the sony with equal hours of SD programming and 2x the number of shows on it really isn't as slow as the HDtivo at times. Must be something in the HD box, especially with the lightning fast record times and guide that the T60 has even when full. (which it constantly is)