New HD TiVo can only use TiVo branded USB WLAN adapter?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Mandlf, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Mandlf

Mandlf New Member

Sep 5, 2007

Advertisements

The FAQ for the new HD TiVo says that only the TiVo branded wireless adapter will be compatible. Has anyone verified this? Does anyone know what is special about this adapter (other than TiVo getting the money from it...)?

2. JacksTiVo

JacksTiVo TiVo User since 2001

Jan 7, 2006
    New Jersey
    I am not an expert, but my understanding is that the TiVo brand wireless adapter does some processing which frees-up the work load on the TiVo's unit's CPU. See the discussion at: http://www.tivolovers.com/2006/03/26/amazon-listing-tivo-wifi-adapter/#comment-1176 .

3. Mandlf

Mandlf New Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Thanks for the link. I'm using an off-the-shelf Linksys 802.11b adapter on my Series 2 and it works fine (even downloading Amazon Unbox movies.) I guess I'll try it on the new box and if it doesn't work I'll get the TiVo one.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The point is that it is supported, not that others will not work.

What is special about it is that is specs are in total control of Tivo Inc, so that they can control if the spec changes, and if it does, they will know what it is, to be able to keep up on drivers for it. The fact it co-processes wireless networking is a bonus of TiVo going on their own, or a secondary reason.

The reason the Series 3 platform no longer "supports" the non-Tivo adapters, is because TiVo likely saw the Series 3 platform an opportunity make clean break from support of the unreliable market of PC adapters built for the PC market.