New HD Receiver>> can Humax 800 handle it?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by jpe118, Sep 22, 2007.

1. jpe118

jpe118 New Member

Dec 12, 2005

Advertisements

I recently purchased a HD receiver and I wanted to hook it up both to my tv and to my tivo. I want to watch HD programs on the tv and RECORD standard def tv on the humax.

When I connect the HD receiver to the humax via coaxial cable it simply acts as a pass through and does not provide the digital channels I can view when watching the HD receiver on the tv. I'd like to take an output from the HD receiver and connect it directly to the humax as well (so i can watch/record the digital channels). I tried disconnecting the coaxial cable and connecting an S-Video cable from an output on the HD receiver to the Svideo input on the humax. Would this work? It doesn't seem to- as the on screen message I get says that the recorder has lost the standard cable signal. The thing is, in the Humax manual it says to do just that- hook it up with a/v cables to the input on the humax and NOT to hook up the coax cable.

I hope that made sense. Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

john paul

2. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    If you switch from RF input to S-Video input you need to redo Guided Setup to configure the Humax to use the external input. Right now it is configured to us the internal tuner with RF.

3. jpe118

jpe118 New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    does anyone have the humax and an antenna HD hook up? It's trying to talk to the hd receiver right now an- while I'm receiving digital channels from my house antenna- I can't get the samsung hd receiver and the humax recorder to talk to each other.

4. jpe118

jpe118 New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    I bought an IR cable- but it only has one IR end (w/ sticky pad to attach to IR "eye"). The manual shows two ends- to create the IR 'tent'. Should I look for one with 2 ends- or should this one work (it doesnt yet)? I 'stuck' the IR end over the IR receiver on my samsung tuner.. but nothing. The tivo SEES the digital stations coming from the tuner- but it still can't change the channel.

5. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...

Advertisements

I bet the TiVo can't control it. If the receiver isn't in the TiVo's pre-programmed device database for IR codes, it just can't do it. AFAIK the TiVo hasn't been coded to control anything other than cable and satellite boxes.

6. jpe118

jpe118 New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    what does AFAIK mean?

7. GT1Boy

GT1Boy got tivo?

Mar 23, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    AFAIK = As far as I know

8. dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...
    i have a humax feeding a hd tv, but it gets its signal from a digital stb. i do also have a series2 getting its signal from cable without a stb, and it also feeds another hd tv. wouldnt you want to feed the tivo first, and then the receiver?

9. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    The HD receiver is the tuner that gets the HD television signals.

You don't feed anything into the receiver except for an antenna.