New HD Owner

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dwiener, Dec 6, 2007.

1. dwiener

dwiener New Member

Dec 6, 2007

Advertisements

Just purchased a Tivo HD and have a few questions.

1 - can any usb to wireless internet adapter be used with it or do I need to purchase the Tivo branded one? I was finally able to get it hooked up via phone line but only after 3 calls to tech support and a little bit of experimentation on my own, as I kept getting unable to connect error messages.

2 - I'm hooked up via rgb to my Sharp Aquos, but the picture from my Tivo doesn't resize like it does when using the sets built in digital tuner. Will going to an HDMI cable fix this?

2. Interpol

Interpol New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    No, you need to use the Tivo-branded USB-WiFi adapter.

However, you can always use the ethernet port on the Tivo box and connect it to a wireless bridge. But you are stuck with the Tivo adapter if you must use USB.

I was not aware the Tivo HD has RGB outputs. At least, my unit doesn't have them. Are you sure you don't mean component?

3. dr_lha

dr_lha New Member

May 13, 2005
    Central PA
    Check in your Video Output settings, the TiVo comes set to output 480i by default IIRC. Set it to Native to switch to higher resolution when you're watching HD channels, or one of the fixed modes to upscale all channels.

4. dwiener

dwiener New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Thanks

Guess I'll order the USB adapter from Amazon. As cheap or cheaper than any of the bridges I've found. And I meant component, and eventually found the setup for video modes. Now I need to get some cable cards!