New HD channels on Directv?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Bob_Newhart, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston

Advertisements

I heard they added 30 more channels yesterday, with most of them being regional sports stuff.

What is the regional sports channels? Do you only get them according to what city you're in?

Can someone point me to a list that shows the 30 new channels and their channel numbers?

Thanks

2. Mavrick22

Mavrick22 New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    286: Planet Green HD
    311: ABC Family HD
    541: Showtime Showcase HD
    542: Showtime Extreme HD
    646: FSN South
    647: FSN Midwest
    649: Sport South
    653: Sun Sports
    659: FSN Pittsburgh
    668: FSN North
    683: FSN Rocky Mountain
    686: FSN Arizona
    687: FSN Northwest

The other new channels are 18 HD PPV channels

3. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    thanks!

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Not impressed with the latest selection, but it shows they're trying.

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD

Advertisements

The RSNs are included in most every package by region but you can also get the RSNs nationally with the Sports Pack. However, some sports (like NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS and some college) are blacked out outside of your local RSNs.

6. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    also remember you need to manually add channels IF you have favorites set up

7. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    I wonder when the exisitng "HD" Channels are going to go HD? (MTV-HD, TBS-HD, etc)

8. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    TBS does baseball and basketball in HD now as well as several of its own shows like the Bill Engvall Show.

Supposedly, MTV is rebranding MHD as Palladia, probably in readyness to actually make MTV HD for real.

9. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    TBS and TNT already THINK they are in HD, even when they are using that Stretch-O-Vision crapola. They label every program in the EPG with a HD logo and swear up and down to www.whereishd.com that they are 100% HD. (Not!)

10. LostCluster

LostCluster Member

Feb 10, 2002
    TBS and TNT's non-original programming lineup is mostly 90s shows shot on 4:3 film that can be converted into HD by rescaning the film to get the extra detail. They perform stretch-o-vision to make average people realize they've got HD, as most people think anything with a pillarbox must be SD.

11. BlankMan

BlankMan I'm the Kettle

Mar 30, 2002
    WI
    FSNWIHD too!! I happened to be perusing the channels I receive list the other day and I saw 669-1, GREAT!! I can watch the Brewers in HD now!! I be happy.

12. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Actually that channel has been on DirecTV for nearly a year now. ;)

13. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Partly true, but much if not most of it is NOT retelecined to HD, whether they later stretch it or not. It's good old crap SD, with an HD logo and an HD listing in the EPG.

And while I'm still ranting about Stretch-O-Vision, their particular way of doing it is crap. There are major visual abberations even vertically that make me want to rub my eyes. We have cheap Magnavox 13" HDTV's that have a similar stretch algorithm built in, and they look much, much better.

14. jfischer

jfischer New Member

Oct 14, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    Jesus, Planet Green in HD? An utterly useless channel IMHO, and even more utterly useless in HD.

15. BlankMan

BlankMan I'm the Kettle

Mar 30, 2002
    WI
    When I got my HR20 earlier this year it was not there, I had no -1 channels in the 600 range, only showed up recently. Believe me, I would have been watching it.

Course last week when I added th 5 other HD channels for $4.95 there were problems, they wouldn't show up, even after a reboot. Was on the phone a long time with the CSR until he finally got them working, so maybe something was wrong all along and they didn't show up.

16. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Seriously though, it's been there since last year. It's a "game only" channel. Basically my understanding is that FSN North is the main FSN and FSN Wisconsin covers the games that wouldn't be on the main North feed (say the FSN North channel has the Twins then FSN WI will have the Brewers).

Here I found it: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=914047&highlight=fox+wisconsin

It was added last November 14th. Channel numbers for all the RSNs have recently changed FYI.

17. BlankMan

BlankMan I'm the Kettle

Mar 30, 2002
    WI
    I believe you. 100%

It's too much of a coincidence that they showed up after I added those 5 additional channels which I was not able to access and it took the DirecTV Tech about a 1/2 hour sending whatever they send via satellite to the box. He had me reboot it early on that didn't help, then I listened to a lot of 'ok, let me try this, you getting it now?'. So something was definitely screwed on that box. But it being my first MPEG-4 receiver, I had no idea I was missing them, all the other HD stuff like NatGeo, History, etc. HD were there.