New HD channels and tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Rambo2810, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Rambo2810

Rambo2810 New Member

Feb 26, 2004
    chicago area
    hi, anyone know when those "150 HD channels " are coming from Directv ?? Also, can I buy a DVD recorder and record programs from Directv ? Will the DVD recorder pick up the HD channels for Tivo ?? I was told that the HD channels will not record. Thanks in advance for any help

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    New and Upcoming Channels in 2H 2007 and Early 2008

August
    Animal Planet
    Discovery
    TLC
    The Science Channel

September
    Cinemax (MoreMAX)
    HBO (HBO2, HBO Family, and HBO Signature to start, with all remaining HBO channels to follow over next six months)
    History
    Starz (Starz Comedy, Starz Edge, and Starz Kids)
    TBS
    The Weather Channel

October
    CNN

October/November
    Cartoon Network
    CNBC
    FX
    SciFi
    USA Network

December
    Tennis Channel

1Q '07
    ABC Family
    Disney Channel
    Toon Disney
    ESPNews

Dish Network just added the first group a few days ago, and DirecTV will begin adding channels in the second half of September, but they won't be the only ones. You can also expect to see most of these channels on Comcast, FiOS, and other cable providers this year.

DirecTV is using MPEG-4 compression to deliver these channels, so none of them will work with the DirecTivo DVRs. With DirecTV HR20 DVR with their own software is their only DVR with support for these channels. If you want Tivo capability with these channels, you'll have to switch to cable and get the TivoHD.

You'll have to wait a long time to get 100 -- let alone 150 -- HD cable channels with DirecTV. The claims you see on TV are with regard to total future capacity, and even those statements are a bit misleading, since DirecTV figures upcoming HD-PPV in that number. DirecTV also counts sports packages by the number of channels they require (i.e. Sunday Ticket isn't one channel, it is 6+ and the same will go for MLB Extra Innings when it is added in HD).

4. matthew13

matthew13 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I just got a new TV & would like to stick with Tivo, so I'll probably buy the new Tivo HD & hopefully Comcast will add the new HD channels as you've suggested. One question, though. I thought I saw somewhere, on some site, that the cable companies may start transmitting certain HD channels in some format not compatible with Tivos. Know anything about that?

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Comcast 860MHz (and 1GHz) systems will not be using SDV anytime soon. Some Comcast 750MHz systems will be using SDV in the next year.

Here's a bit I posted in another thread:

6. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC

Yep - DirecTv's HD-Channel "accounting" makes Enron and WorldCom look like childs play :D

7. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    They could easily add 30 channels of HD PPV or VOD or both. They don't lack the bandwidth.