New Hard Drive Using a Mac

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Onazuka, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Feb 3, 2008 #1 of 11
    Onazuka

Onazuka New Member

Sep 22, 2001
    Maryland

Advertisements

I need to replace the hard drive in my HR10-250, I would like to get a little more life out of it. I have an almost new 250GB drive and I have Mac computers. Is there any way for me to get the software on the new 250GB drive using my Macintosh computer ? I really didn't want to spend $140 to get a new hard drive with the software installed for this unit that's obsolete, nor do I want to buy a PC. I have Fusion to run PC software on my Mac but it can't mount my external USB hard drive in that environment. So I need to use my Macs. Thanks.

2. Feb 4, 2008 #2 of 11
    BigBearf

BigBearf New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    In a word,
    Get an old PC. I tried for 12 months to use a Mac and finally as per Gunny just bit the bullet used a PC. I use a OLD Dell Dimension Pentium II 300 MHz dinosaur. I'm sure that if you just post on your company bulletin board someone will be happy to give you an old boat anchor. You just need the motherboard, CDRom and a power supply.
    hope this helps.
    BigBearf

3. Feb 4, 2008 #3 of 11
    Pictor Guy

Pictor Guy New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Seattle WA
    I haven't looked into it but why not use the Mac? commands like `dd' are the same on the Mac as on Linux.

4. Feb 4, 2008 #4 of 11
    amoneys2k

amoneys2k New Member

Nov 2, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I assume that if you're running VMware Fusion that you have an Intel CPU Mac. If that's the case, you could install Boot Camp (now included with Leopard) and boot natively into Windows. With that configuration, you Mac is essentially a PC.

5. Feb 4, 2008 #5 of 11
    Onazuka

Onazuka New Member

Sep 22, 2001
    Maryland

Advertisements

Yea, but I need Windows XP SP2 or Vista. I only own Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 95 and can borrow Windows XP SP1 but none of them work on Boot Camp. I don't really want to pay $90 for Windows just for this.

I guess I'm just going to switch to Comcast. :eek:

6. Feb 6, 2008 #6 of 11
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    In the case of InstantCake, don't you boot from the CD? Therefore, it doesn't matter what OS the computer has.

7. Feb 6, 2008 #7 of 11
    amoneys2k

amoneys2k New Member

Nov 2, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Unfortunately that won't work for the Macs. The Intel Macs use EFI instead of BIOS. It first boots using the firmware and then will only look for a bootable Mac format CD/DVD (hold the C key), a bootable OS X HDD partition, or a bootable XP/Vista HDD partition. In the case of XP/Vista it emulates BIOS via the Boot Camp software to allow it to boot.

8. Feb 7, 2008 #8 of 11
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Could a Mac formatted InstantCake CD be created for this purpose? Just a PC user asking.

9. Feb 7, 2008 #9 of 11
    amoneys2k

amoneys2k New Member

Nov 2, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Unfortunately that won't work. The problem isn't that the Mac can't read the disc format, but that it can't boot from the OS on the disc. It's similar to putting Mac OS X on a PC formatted disc and putting it in a PC. The PC won't be able to do anything with the files on that disc even if I can read the disc format.

10. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Could a Mac bootable CD be made that also includes the required InstantCake software? Just askin'!

11. MeStinkBAD

MeStinkBAD Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Tucson, Az
    I suggest using Fusion to boot off the Instacake CD. Install the HD, then select it to tbe the primary HDD of Fusion's VM. Also make sure Fusion boots of the CD. Run the VM.