new hard drive Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by shagnscooby, Apr 10, 2006.

1. shagnscooby

shagnscooby New Member

Apr 9, 2006

Advertisements

:eek: My tivo only says welcome powering up after the last up grade from tivo.
    I'm told the my hard drive is bad and needs replaced. I want to upgrade to a larger hard drive. What I have read online says to hook up my old drive and new drive to my pc. if my old hard drive is no good why do i have to hook it up to my pc. If I use instant cake what will happen to my life time subscription? what are my options :confused:

2. Moebius

Moebius Member

Nov 25, 2002
    Not there...
    It might just be bad install (granted this is unlikely). If so, the image may be repairable, or considering I've never tried this approach, I may be totally out of my mind.

3. Double-Tap

Double-Tap Alien Hunter

Apr 18, 2002
    U.S. Midwest
    Did you try to unplug, wait 15 seconds, and replug the unit from power?

You hook up two drives because you usually "copy" the original TiVo drive to the new replacement drive. There are different ways to do it but it needs a source/original and destination/new. If you had a backup image of your original drive you could use that to copy to the new one. I get the feeling you don't have a backup, however.

I've heard Spinrite 6 from grc.com ($90 or so) can sometimes repair bad TiVo drives, but haven't tried it myself. If your drive is trashed and can't be read even that wouldn't help.

Upgrading a drive or adding a drive doesn't kill or alter your lifetime or monthly subscription. Software modifications can affect how your unit downloads service updates and such, so read the fine print carefully before using.

4. HoosierTivoDaddy

HoosierTivoDaddy New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Northern IN
    You may still be able to pull the image off the drive. If you are able, your SP will be preserved. If you use instant cake it is like you just bought a new TiVo and you will have to start building your Season Pass list again. There is only one way to find out!

5. JacksTiVo

JacksTiVo TiVo User since 2001

Jan 7, 2006
    New Jersey

Advertisements

The recent software upgrade 7.2.2 for Series 2 units with certain wired network adapters are causing problems similar to what you have described. I suggest you check other threads in the Tivo Help Center, the Tivo.com Web site and then give their tech support a call.

6. shagnscooby

shagnscooby New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Hey guys
    I just bought a new Seagate 200gb hd and used the weaknees upgrade info and my tivo is working great! :D I did call tivo and all they wanted to do was sale me another box for $150. :eek: :thumbsdown:

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com

Thanks for all the help :p
    Shagnscooby