New Hard Drive for Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by pmokover, Jun 26, 2019.

1. pmokover

pmokover New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    New Jersey
    The hard drive in my TiVo Bolt 3TB died. I'd like to try replacing it myself. I have some questions:

1. I have read in other message threads that only a 2.5" hard drive will fit inside a bolt. A 3.5" drive will not fit. Is that true?

2. I have read that I should use a Western Digital Red series drive - not Black series. Apparently Black generates too much heat for the Bolt. Is that true?

3. Can I use a drive larger than 3TB? Will the TiVo system recognize it?

4. Are there step-by-step instructions online for doing a hard drive replacement in a Bolt? (Including how to open the Bolt without breaking it.)

5. Are there any other things I should know that I have not thought to ask?

Thanks!

Peter

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Google is your friend:

Use these words: you tube changing hdd in bolt

It's a 2.5" drive which will limit your choices.

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    There are many posts and threads here on these topics--a search using the box at the upper right should locate them (also under the Bolt and Upgrade sub-forums). A recent thread getting into some of these topics: Expanding storage on a 1TB Bolt DVR.

In addition to a great YouTube video on the Bolt hard drive replacement, WeaKnees.com has a great print (with pictures) step-by-step guide--you can buy your drive there as well . . . .

A reason why people often gravitate to a 3TB or less replacement drive: the Bolt box does all the drive prep./formatting work; with over 3TB (which indeed is possible), it also requires human intervention with separate software available here (but still is relatively simple).

Don't discount the Toshiba 2.5" 3TB (also 1TB and 2TB) drive that often has been a favorite here--although no longer being manufactured, it still can be found available for retail sale.

And just because:

-- WeaKnees (with mention of its how-to guide): Single 3 TB Replace TiVo Upgrade Kit for 849000

-- YouTube replacement video: youtube.com/watch?v=CcH8NyRDRCU

4. jeffl.ors

jeffl.ors New Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Contact TiVO and verify your TSN. There was a large number of 3TB Western Digital hard drives that were defective and you may get a replacement Bolt. Due to this issue, they stopped selling the 3TB Bolt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

compuguy and HerronScott like this.
  5. jeffl.ors

jeffl.ors New Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Contact TiVO and verify your TSN. There was a large number of 3TB Western Digital hard drives that were defective and you may get a replacement Bolt. Due to this issue, they stopped selling the 3TB Bolt

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I was going to suggest the same given the reports of others even if this user has lifetime without the Continual Care and is out of warranty.

Scott

7. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Also, don't fret about breaking any of the plastic clips. You likely will. But it does NOT cause any problems with the case being seating back down well. If I can do it, anyone herein can!

compuguy and Mikeguy like this.
  8. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The 3TB Toshiba is model MQ03ABB300 but it's also sometimes listed as HDKFB06

9. David Laine

David Laine New Member

Jul 16, 2019
    This happened to ours - it went bad with the 4 flashing lights, I called tivo and they are sending me a new one free of charge. I have the lifetime subscription on it but it was out of warranty.
    dave

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Is that what they told you? Here, TiVo_Ted said that it was due to the WD 3TB drive no longer being made and TiVo's not having sourced another drive, and also noting that there has been less interest in the 3TB Bolt than the 1TB Bolt.

compuguy likes this.
  11. David Laine

David Laine New Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I see that they are not selling the 3Tb version any more, but they are replacing my old 3Tb with another 3Tb so they do have a supply of them on hand. It took less than a minute of talking to the tivo tech support rep before it switched from 'what's wrong' to 'we will ship you a new one'. It must be a known, common problem with these units.

I want to say a quick thank-you for this community. My first instinct was to just try to fix it myself but it was the posts on here that reminded me I should call tech-support first! Now I just have to wait for the new one to show up.

Thanks!
    dave

12. cwhogan

cwhogan Member

Oct 5, 2003
    I bought a Tivo Bolt+ (3TB) in 2017. A few days shy of a year the HDD died and they replaced it with a refurb. This morning (14 months later) the refurb's HDD died. I have the lifetime service (whatever it's called now) and they wanted me to pay $150 for a referb because I was over 2 years past the original purchase date. I complained and they reduced the price to $75. I strongly complained and told the agent I expected them to replace it for free because the first replacement had the same defective drive as the original and I should not have to pay for new defective devices every year. she cam have an offered to send it for free.

Now, I do have 3 tivos in my house and have gone through several since 2003. I pointed out what a loyal customer I am. That might have helped.

I asked if Tivo has finally realize the HDD's a bad and if this new refurb will have a different model drive, but she had no idea. Do you guys know? Does Tivo understand this is a problem? Are the latest (new) boxes using more reliable hardware?

Thanks

13. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Ok, so you have a failed tivo bolt hdd and tivo csr says they'll send you a replacement. The replacement comes and gets setup as new. What happens to all your passes? No way to get them on the replacement box?

I've checked TiVo Online and it doesn't have any info for the failed box.

14. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Nope.

Is there any life at all in the old Drive?

You might could try to Clone it to the new drive.

There's a possibility that onlne.tivo.com has your OnePasses, but I wouldn't hold my breath, if I were you...

-KP

15. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Yea the drive is totally dead and nothing on online.tivo.com. Ahhhh for some reason I thought SOMETHING was kept on the online site for cases like this but looks like it just checks the boxes that are up and connected at the time you check in.