New Hard Drive causes TIVO failure. Please Help.

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by waityn4jc, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Jan 1, 2006 #1 of 25
    waityn4jc

waityn4jc New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    KY, USA
    First let me say, I have read through about 30 threads and have not found my exact error yet and was needing some help. If you know of a thread that addresses my following issue please let me know and I will read it.

I recently purchased a TIVO TCD540040 and wanted to upgrade drive. I already owned a Western Digital Caviar 120GB so I decided to use it. I am replacing the original TIVO drive to keep as a backup.

I have run through both Hindale's and Weaknees' upgrade instructions and continue to end with the same error. After running MFS tools 2.0 and installing the new Hard drive into my TIVO, the TIVO will not turn on at all. I do not get the "Welcome" or "Almost there" screen. All the TV shows is a black screen with random jumping white lines every now and then. The case fan does not spin. The hard drive does not spin up. Any idea what I might have done wrong or even might need to do?

I can then return the old hard drive back into the TIVO and everything is fine. I have run full Western Digital diagnostics on the drive and it reports nothing wrong. I have fully reformatted the drive since and reinstalled XP and it runs fine.

Using the upgrade instructions I have tried both options of either "make copy and lose recordings" and the option that is supposed to keep all my recordings. During both methods I do not get any error messages from MFS tools and it reads the size of both my drives correctly.

I am knowledgeable of the insides of computer so I understand jumper settings. I do not know anything about linux so I do not know any other options to run while in MFS tools.

In the past I have used this Western Digital drive for both Linux and XP and it worked fine for both. The only thing I can even think of to try that I have not yet is to run Western Digitals tool that writes 0's on the entire drive, but I have no idea if that would help at all.

Please if you have any advice or if you know of a thread that addresses this issue, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

2. Jan 1, 2006 #2 of 25
    funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    You indicate you are knowledgeable about jumper settings but it sure sounds like a jumper problem. I then presume you are not using a jumper on your WD drive and it still does not work correct? Also make sure none of the drive pins has inadvertantely bent over.

3. Jan 1, 2006 #3 of 25
    waityn4jc

waityn4jc New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    KY, USA
    Western Digital drives are unique in their jumper settings in that they have "Master with a slave." I have tried the three following settings No Jumper (which is master alone), Master with a slave, and cable select. I get the exact same result no matter which jumper I put it on. The drive reads fine as a Master alone and with cable select in my desktop. No pins are bent over.

Are there any file system or formatting that could offer better results or should that not matter at all? Thanks for helping with this and I greatly appreciate any further assistance.

Steven

4. Jan 1, 2006 #4 of 25
    waityn4jc

waityn4jc New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    KY, USA
    Are certain drives not compatible with TIVO, could that be the problem? I mean I have always thought hard drives are hard drives, but I am also very new to TIVO. Thanks.

5. Jan 1, 2006 #5 of 25
    prospect60

prospect60 New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    I've used several WD Caviar drives (as well as Seagate, Hitachi, IBM, and Maxtor) in TIVO before without problems with any of them. If the drive isn't even spinning up while in the TIVO, but OK in your computer then it sounds like a connector problem either with the Molex Power Cable or IDE cable -- assuming the power cable if you don't hear it spin up.

6. Jan 1, 2006 #6 of 25
    waityn4jc

waityn4jc New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    KY, USA
    The only reason I think that isn't the case is that the original drive still works fine. Since my WD drive has been used many times in the past for other purposes, is there any prep I need to do to it to make it TIVO compatible?

When the WD drive is in the TIVO and I power up the TIVO it acts a little jumpy. Perhaps like the drive wants to fire, and the case fan kind of jiggles like it is getting mili-seconds of power.

I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks for all the help so far.

7. Jan 1, 2006 #7 of 25
    funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    When you image the drive from a backup image the drive is erased and prepped by the software so there is nothing else to do - just make sure you don't stick it back into the computer and look at it with Windows or it will never work in TiVo. I also have used all the various manufacturer's drives and have never encountered the problem. Any chance you have another drive or could borrow one just to confirm your backup/image process is ok?

8. Jan 1, 2006 #8 of 25
    Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    This sounds like a power supply issue - how old is the drive? What model number? Could it be consuming too much power when trying to spin up?

9. Jan 1, 2006 #9 of 25
    HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Just a thought, From what you describe if the drive is spinning up and down you might of discovered a pending power supply failure the original drive may work ok because it is drawing less power.

Just to cover all bases what is the command syntax that you used to copy/expand the drive.

10. waityn4jc

waityn4jc New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    KY, USA
    I have tried three different commands: (Always with TIVO original as secondary master, CD as 2nd slave, and WD as primary master)

2 trying to save recordings:
    mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hda
    mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hda

1 losing recordings:
    mfsbackup -f 9999 -so - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hda

Weaknees adds the "-r 4" where Hinsdale's does not have it. If I ever get this thing working, which is preferred and what is the difference?

Western Digital Caviar (Model: WD1200JB-00CRA1) Made: May 2002
    Not sure if this will help but written on the WD it says 5VDC---0.80A 12VDC---0.45A
    Here is a web address for the specs: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=704&p_created=1037222945
    I do have another drive and could give it a shot, it is only a 40GB so in the end it is not what I want but I see it will help the testing process.
    Thank you so much for your help. I hope its not the power supply about to fail.

11. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Try the WD drive in another position -- for example, primary slave. Some tivo boot iso's do funny things (byte swap?) on the primary master drive.

12. waityn4jc

waityn4jc New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    KY, USA
    I am not really sure how what you are talking about could be of any benefit. Those are the positions while on the computer, not in the TIVO. Are you saying to set the WD as slave while in the TIVO when it is a single drive?

13. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    No. I'm saying to do that when it is in the PC. The issue is that some of the tivo upgrade boot CD's do something "special" with /dev/hda (primary master). Something special you don't want. I offer no guarantees, but it might be the issue.

Feel free to ignore my advice if you don't believe it could possibly be of any benefit.

14. waityn4jc

waityn4jc New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    KY, USA
    Man, I feel like I know nothing about TIVO's now, so I am willing to try anything.

15. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    The key value from the specs is the spin-up specs:

Spinup 1.3 A (max) (12 V) 650 mA (5V) 19.0 W (Total power dissipation)

Which is not excessive (Maxtor Quickviews draw about 50% more), so power is not the problem. Are you using any power splitters? Have you tried a new 80 wire IDE cable? (Grasping at straws here.)

16. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    If the drive and the fan are cycling up and down it has to be a Power Supply problem. The power specs on the drive look fine and should work in the TiVo that is why I think the power supply is about to fail or possibly the drive could be out of tolerance. You are not even getting the first screen you get that even if the drive is missing.
    Check the Power supply for bulging or leaking caps (the tall cylinders).

Oh and for the -r 4 that option is only needed for drives larger then 200G

17. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    I agree. Ignore my earlier suggestion. If you're not even getting the "Powering up" message on the screen, and the drive isn't spinning up, it's a hardware problem, not software.

18. waityn4jc

waityn4jc New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    KY, USA
    Ok, I went ahead and tried something crazy to test this thing out. First I tried to use a different drive but my only other EIDE drive is 40 GB and apparently my TIVO drive was 40.1 or something because it was a little bigger than mine. Anyhow, onto the crazy thing I tried.

Before reading the last three replies I too was starting to decide it had to be power issues. So, I took my TIVO and set it up next to my computer. I POWERED my WD drive from my computer but plugged the EIDE wire to my TIVO. TIVO powered up fine! I guess it might not be as crazy as I felt it was, but it sure felt nuts. With this info, should I assume its the TIVO power supply or the WD drive wanting too much power? I know the specs on the drive say it should not be it, but is it possible for a drive to have an error causing too much power consumption? I have run the extensive WD diagnostics on the drive and no errors were reported but I think that only tests the surface. Is there any way to test a drives power consumption on Spin-UP?
    I did my best to check for bulging tall things but I did not see any, however I wouldn't have a clue what they should look like or exactly which cylinders to look at. I do understand which board is the power supply but that's the extent of my knowledge.

Any advise on which steps I should take forward? Thank you so much for your help so far.

19. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    The caps sometimes show signs of failure they may leak a white or gray powder or the tops may bulge most of the electronic caps have a grove cut in the top allowing for some expansion any way if you are not familiar with the Power Supply you probably don't want to get too involved there can be in excess of 600V charge on some of the caps even when the AC cord is unplugged.

Check the drive for heat usually the excessive power gets converted into heat.
    I don't know of any easy way to verify the PS other then try a different drive.

You can get a replacement Power Supply form WeakNees

20. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    You could try and see if the TiVo powers up your other spare 40GB drive - if it does, that makes it more likely that the WD drive is out of specs.