New hard drive before i ever boot up my new Roamio?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by flashesbuck, Aug 14, 2015.

1. flashesbuck

flashesbuck New Member

Nov 28, 2010

Advertisements

Ok so I just purchased a refurbished Roamio with a tivo mini. I jumped on that $300 deal.

Should I just go ahead and drop the coin for a new hard drive right from the start? This way I could transfer all my shows from my old Premiere to the new Roamio and not loose any shows?

Or is this a bad idea to do a swap right away.

2. thefisch

thefisch Member

Jul 25, 2015
    If you think you will need the extra capacity, doing it first is the better idea. Then you only setup your recordings, settings, etc once. Much more work to do it later.

Personally, I was doubtful that I would need more capacity. That doubt kept me from dropping another $100-125. I also wanted to evaluate the equipment during the 30 day return period and didn't want the complication of returning a HDD too. If I had a 3T drive sitting around with nothing to do and no prospects, I would have been more likely to drop it in the box and keep the original as a backup. Later if I need the capacity, the reward will be worth the hassle.

3. Imageek2

Imageek2 Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Riverside, CA
    I went this route as well since I wanted to evaluate the unit before I fully committed. I am only setting up test recordings, One Passes, etc. That should also let me know how much space I might use and whether I will need a larger drive. If I need a larger drive I will drop one in after the 30 days.

4. convergent

convergent Active Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    I dropped in the new drive before I powered it up for the first time. Why go through the setup and everything more than once? As others have said, if you suspect you may be returning it, then maybe that's a reason to wait.

5. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL

Advertisements

Exactly what I and many others did with brand new Plus and Basic purchases over the last couple of years. No need to go through the hassle more than once unless you're really paranoid about warranty issues.

6. dwarner

dwarner Member

Feb 14, 2003
    I just bought a refurb unit. I did run setup and recorded, / transfered a couple shows to be sure it worked, then installed the new 3TB drive when it arrived the next day. I did cost me an extra hour or so to download all the stuff again, but I wanted to make sure the thing was working before I messed with it.

7. oscarfish

oscarfish Active Member

Mar 1, 2009
    I take it from reading the threads about changing Tivo HDs that the Tivo OS is stored somewhere other than on the HD itself. Or maybe it is stored on the HD but the Tivo has some other bootstrap code baked into a non-HD part of the Tivo that knows how to get the OS onto the HD.

This seems to be semi-common knowledge so I'm sure it's explicitly stated somewhere. Obviously I can't find it or I wouldn't be asking.

Also, I guess when I mention Tivo above I was referring to Romios because that is what I only recently upgraded to. I also have a S2 that I purchased a replacement HD for from weaKnees a while back. For some reason, I got the impression that that HD came with a compatible version of the Tivo OS on it for my S2. But now I'm questioning that.

Thanks.

8. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Roamios and S2s are 3 generations apart, and share nothing besides the TiVo brand name. On Roamios the OS is stored in flash memory, and it will auto-format any drive up to 3TB. 4-6TB drives take 3rd-party intervention that you can find in the Upgrade forum.

Series 2s still have their uses for some people, but they're standard definition boxes that only speak analog cable (a rare critter these days) or analog broadcast TV, which died several years ago in the US.

Every model before the Roamios came out has the OS on the hard drive and require VERY specialized tools to work with. Once again, the Upgrade forum is your friend.