New hard disk unstable - safe to adjust PSU?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by rilian, Jan 19, 2010.

1. rilian

rilian New Member

Sep 23, 2003

Advertisements

A few months ago I had my TiVo upgraded to a less worn out large drive, which of course required a SATA converter. TiVo is less stable than it was, but it's intermittent and hard to track down. It doesn't feel like a bad disc.

I've heard it said that 'turning the blue pot on the PSU' a little might help. Is it safe to have a go? I'm thinking that might be a good first step before I try to think of anything else.

Symptoms: twice a month random restarts. Occasional (once a fortnight) recordings have no sound. Occasionally on startup Cachecard shows an error and sulks, refusing to cache anything. Making TiVo work harder by using TiVoweb, or things-I-can't-mention-here seems to be a problem where it wasn't before.

I have an original cachecard.

Wasn't there some talk about very old cachecards and power problems? I can't remember. Is it likely I have a PSU problem?

I do have a spare PSU, from when someone on these forums had some made, but I'm nervous about fitting it.

Maybe it's bad RAM on the cachecard - but it's a big coincidence the problem started exactly in time with the upgrade to a new (more power hungry??) disk.

thanks for any comments.

I wish I was in a Virgin area, I'd change provider from Sky in an instant if I could get a new TiVo.

2. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Dodgy power can indeed cause most of those things.

Changing the PSU over is quite easy. I've done it and I have no manual dexterity skills whatsoever.