New Forum Should Be Added

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by BBREAL, Aug 27, 2007.

1. BBREAL

BBREAL New Member

May 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Ok, everyone, don't jump on me if this has already been suggested. I looked around and had not seen it before I decided to post this.

We need a forum of past and present TIVO users in the TIVO area ( this area ) for the HR20. Yes its not a TIVO but the rest of us need this group of users to talk with regarding problems and ideas with the HR20 in the TIVOlike method.

We are the only ones who know or care enough to discuss ideas properly. I have seen the other forum and noticed some familiar names, but its not the same. I just made the move to the HR20-700 and am keeping my HR10-250 along side so I can still use it at least for Wishlist and other TIVO specific things.

Is there interest an interest in my concept?

Brian

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    What are your concerns for not using the DBSTalk forum?
    Maybe a forum there for TiVo users to commiserate could be setup.

3. BBREAL

BBREAL New Member

May 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I guess that would be ok too. Maybe we could call it the TIVO commiseration forum. I just have noticed so far its not as slick. Maybe after a few more people are forced to convert that will change.

4. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    What is it you don't like about dbstalk.com. It is the same owner as this forum and there are a lot of knowledgable and helpful people there too. It seems to me that aside from a few threads that compare the HR20 and HR10 there really isn't a need to post things about the HR20 here when there is already a perfectly good site to do that.

5. BBREAL

BBREAL New Member

May 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    So, that is two nos I guess.

6. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...

If some of you think this forum gets a little hostile because we love the Tivo, you should really check out the other forum - don't say anything bad about the HR20. You can't even have a decent conversation over there sometimes. :mad: I guess they've been through so much agony, now that the box actually records, they don't wanna hear anything other then 'this is the greatest box ever' :D

So, maybe the op is trying to get a view from the Tivo side without getting his head chopped off!!

7. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    RS4,

Respectfully.

I encountered you for the first time a few months ago at DBStalk. You still don't grasp this basic concept.

The HR20 people at DBSTalk are the TiVo side. They are overwhelmingly rooted in their experiences with TiVo. The vast majority having it AND enjoying it more thoroughly and longer than even yourself. How can you be made to understand that? *You* are not the TiVo side nor do you represent it globally. You're one guy that likes TiVo and is pissed at DTV over their commitment policies.

8. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Strangely enough the people attracted to and participating in this forum are a subset of the population that's generally pretty friendly and chatty all around. And for whatever reason, you just don't get as high a quality, on average, of participant at DBSTalk.com. And conversely, you mostly get people that have a stick up their butt (in a serious, dedicated-to-their-equipment way) over at AVSForum.com (I said generally; there's certainly quite knowledgeable contingents at each).

So I can certainly understand the desire to have a forum over here on any particular subject, because I'd rather talk with the people who generally hang around here about any topic moreso than the group that hangs around other online places.

9. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I think there's a significant whole-meaning-changing typo in there. :)

10. BBREAL

BBREAL New Member

May 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I think that is 3 no & 2 yes. I am for whatever can keep the friendy and interesting conversations available.

11. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    The hardest thing to sift through on either forum is the overwhelming preponderance of uninformed opinions, or opinions based on experience, and usually limited experience, with only one platform. There is also a tendency for people having made a choice to want to seek validation by telling everyone what a good choice they made and hoping they'll buy the rap. Nobody is comfortable doubting that they've made the right decision, after all. There's even a lot of Stockholm syndrome regarding folks who have embraced the devil they know in lieu of the devil they don't know.

There's not a lot of well-informed opinion or points of view that are not skewed by how they might support that kind of self-validation. But I guess that's just human nature. But, there's enough good info to keep me coming back. You just have to know how to spot people's true agendas before you accept what they are saying at face value. And that's not always easy, I understand.

But what really makes me "gird my loins" as George Takei likes to say, is when a statement is prefaced by the word "respectfully". By that point I am usually pretty sure there won't be a lot of respect being thrown around, and damned if I wasn't proven right once again.

12. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    well put, if I have a question on pretty much anything (including my HR20) I'll post it up here or not post it anywhere.

This forum has ruined me from all other forums :D

13. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    The hardest thing to sift through on either forum is the overwhelming preponderance of uninformed opinions, or opinions based on experience, and usually limited experience, with only one platform. There is also a tendency for people having made a choice to want to seek validation by telling everyone what a good choice they made and hoping they'll buy the rap. Nobody is comfortable doubting that they've made the right decision, after all. There's even a lot of Stockholm syndrome regarding folks who have embraced the devil they know in lieu of the devil they don't know.

There's not a lot of well-informed opinion or points of view that are not skewed by how they might support that kind of self-validation. But I guess that's just human nature. But, there's enough good info to keep me coming back. You just have to know how to spot people's true agendas before you accept what they are saying at face value. And that's not always easy, I understand.

But what really makes me "gird my loins" as George Takei likes to say, is when a statement is prefaced by the word "respectfully". By that point I am usually pretty sure there won't be a lot of respect being thrown around, and damned if I wasn't proven right once again.

14. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Well, if you look at the top of the page, you'll see the words "TiVo Community Forum".

You don't see "DVR Community Forum"

Therefore, no new forum required or expected.

'nuff said.

phox

15. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    Fort Worth, TX
    Bravo!!!!!

16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Odd, most of the folks at dbstalk are the same people I met here at tivocommunity.

I think of it as one big community with different focuses (focii?).

The nature of the HR10 forum here is that there will be a lot of HR10 to HR20 talk because that is the natural path for DirecTV HD. If you move any HR20 transition talk (and I see transition talk as different from what goes on at dbstalk to some extent) to its own forum, then the HR10 forum will die pretty much completely as little is new to talk about.

17. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    If people want to talk about non-Tivo things, why don't they just start threads in the Happy Hour? :confused:

18. madbeachcat

madbeachcat Content is King

Jan 31, 2002
    Dyersburg, TN

Really kind of a self serving post. I've spent a lot of time here and and at that other place just soaking up the knowledge and experience of the posters at both sites. And I am grateful to all of them. I find quality people at both forums. :(

Including you, Doug. ;)

Oh, and by the way, there is an HDTivo section at the other forum.

Steve

19. Frank_M

Frank_M New Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Shrewsbury, MA
    I wouldn't try to make someone's point for them, but I can understand the rationale behind this post. Many of use have been here a long time, and post frequently in the "now playing" forums, or "chit chat" etc... And we'd still like to be able to have discussions about DVRs with people we're used to chatting with.

I for one, put a lot more stock in what people here say with regard to hardware/software issues and people at another forum with whom I'm not familiar.

20. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

That is just completely false....

If you are going to post over there "it's a POS"... you are going to get that type of response... just like if I was to post in the T3 forum here, "it's a POS"... what kind of response do you think I would get?

There are plenty of discussion... about the HR20 (and the R15)... and the vast majority of them are fine (emotion wise), no different then here at TCF....

If you think DBSTalk is nothing but a ra-ra site.... then you have no comprehension of what goes on over there... and just want to bash it....

As that couldn't be further from the truth....

DBSTalk is molded pretty much after the model that was used at AVSforums, that was then brought here to TCF.... MANY of the same faces/users that you have seen here for the last 7 years... are also over at DBSTalk, along with a lot of new faces.

The moderation rules are the same, the site rules are basically the same, heck... even the software is the same.... all that is really different is the topics, and the colors of the site.