New Fall shows Guru guide is up!

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by javabird, Aug 31, 2011.

1. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle

Advertisements

:)

2. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Thanks, I never check these so I could have missed the new season guide. I do find them useful (only for this purpose.)

3. Sep 1, 2011 #3 of 31
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I miss the old TV guide "Fall Preview" issues.

The ones they have now are not the same.

will have to check out the guru.

4. Sep 1, 2011 #4 of 31
    Splitsec

Splitsec New Member

Jan 24, 2004
    Pardon my ignorance, but where would I find this?

5. Sep 1, 2011 #5 of 31
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas

Advertisements

if you have a premire, you need to be in SD menus.

6. Sep 1, 2011 #6 of 31
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Aren't the Collections in the HDUI the same thing?

7. Sep 1, 2011 #7 of 31
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    i didnt see guru guide in HD.

8. Sep 1, 2011 #8 of 31
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Right, it doesn't say Guru Guide but if you go under Browse TV and then Collections there are Fall TV collections you can record. When you look at them in the Season Pass manager they say "Guide" so I think they are the same thing.

9. Sep 1, 2011 #9 of 31
    SullyND

SullyND W: 45-3 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    You can also access them online through your tivo account.

ETA: I swear I was able to manage them online last year, anad not just view them. Is that now only on the Premiere? Am I just losing it? Both? ;)

10. starbreiz

starbreiz Fangirl

Jan 29, 2005
    Mountain...
    I find it odd that the new fall Guru Guide on my Eiger has only 8 shows listed, and they're all reality-based. (Despite my 900 channels on Comcast Digital Gold HD yada yada, I still don't get two of these shows.) Does everyone see this few programs?

11. TIVO_GUY_HERE

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Doesn't the guru guide only show whats in the guide data? It's still early yet, Only show I watch thats in the guide already is Sons Of Anarchy.

12. starbreiz

starbreiz Fangirl

Jan 29, 2005
    Mountain...
    No idea, but that's an excellent theory :)

13. javabird

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    I think you are correct. I seem to recall being able to do that last year, also (I have a TivoHD). Looks like that's only supported for Premiere now.

14. javabird

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    To access the guides (From Tivo's guru guide page) http://www.tivo.com/findtvshows/guides/index.html:

"Go to TiVo Central > Find Programs & Downloads > KidZone Recommendations & Guru Guides."

"Guru Guides generally deliver 3-10 hours of programming every week and are updated regularly, as new shows air, so you're always sure to be watching the freshest, hottest, most interesting programs on TV!"

15. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    The Guru Guide for the Fall Season is not really ready for prime time yet. And remember a lot of shows actually premier after the World Series in October.

16. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Entertainment Weekly puts out a Fall TV Preview issue that is on par with the old TV Guide Fall Preview issues.

17. Hercules67

Hercules67 TiVo addict

Dec 8, 2007
    Actually shows on CW are already premiering like "Ringer" (tonight, 9/13).

I have a question though. In the past, the GURU guides would show-up on the Season Pass List. Is there a reason why this has changed? I can't see them in the Season Pass. Will the shows still record?

Yes, I only have two lonely Series 2 DTs. They've served me well.

18. javabird

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    I added mine to my Season pass list by going to "Get this guide." I got the new Fall shows and the Drama list.

Funny thing about it though is that some of the shows in the Drama list don't show up in the new fall shows list. I wonder if there is a limit to how many shows it will display at a time in the list. Also, it seems to want to select the SD version by default, not the HD version.

19. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I noticed that. I suspect it is because not all cable systems get the HD version. For example, my HD Tivo with cable cards is happy to receive Fox network in HD, my Tivo Series II connected to a cable box can only get the SD version.

20. Hercules67

Hercules67 TiVo addict

Dec 8, 2007
    I can't speak about the HD TiVos (which I'll hopefully have one soon -- with a cable card)....

But, after an hour or so, the Guru Guide shows DID SHOW UP on the Season Pass List. :up: Phew! And I was worried. Now, if there is something that I end-up keeping from the new shows, there it is.

As for the HD shows, I like what one of the Cable systems in NYC area is doing. Everything in what you consider the normal range (where all the channels you expect used to be) are in HD, if you have an HD converter, or Cable Card, etc. That way, you don't have to flip to the 400, or 700 or whatever series of channels to find your HD channels. They are where they're supposed to be.

Why isn't everyone doing that? -- I suspect that's a question for a different thread!