New Fall Seaon and still no coperative scheduling

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by magnus, Sep 21, 2011.

1. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I'm really getting tired of asking Tivo for this but......

We need cooperative scheduling between Tivos on the same network.

I'd like to see the ability to schedule a TV show to be recorded and not have to worry about where it actually records. I have 3 Tivos (2 Premiere and 1 Series 2). I think they should work in conjunction with each other to find open tuners and just record on the Tivo that has one.

Then I should be able to see any show on any Tivo right on the Tivo that I am on. A cooperative Now Playing List should be available and I should be able to just push play to watch it (even if it's on another Tivo). I would think that the streaming aspect should do this and once I'm done watching then I should be able to delete it from whichever box I am watching at.

Adding this functionality would make it so much easier for me to be able to record and watch the shows that I want for the fall season.

Edit: can't spell season (title) :)

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Until streaming is implemented this would be pointless since you might end up recording a show in another room that can't be viewed remotely.

Then of course there are the tons of other issues this brings.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    But after streaming is implemented there will be no excuse for them not to do it. So lets hope they do. :)

Dan

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    i think you have your answer with the 4 tuner elite.

why would they bother with a new SKU (which only works on some systems) to give one 4 tuners if they were ever going to bother allowing 2 existing boxes to play nice together and give you 4 tuners?

I'd much prefer cooperative scheduling myself but i think we're beat and have to suck up and buy an elite if we want to have tivo manage 4 tuners priorities.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You do know this was never even on the table right?
    I prefer to beat up Tivo for real promises and deadlines they have missed, not wishes.:D

6. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Unfortunately, you are probably right about this but it sucks big time. I won't do cable just to get this and they should have had this a long time ago.

7. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Yes, your Tivos *should* be able to do this and the hardware is certainly capable of doing this, but the problem is that Tivo, the company, is not sufficiently motivated to improve the software and user experience for its customers that have already purchased the hardware and service. Tivo used to make the effort to excite customers with significant software enhancements, but that was a long time ago.

8. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Really?!? Come on now. This is something that they should have had for a long time.

Instead, we get a ****ing free space indicator and half finished screens in the new UI.

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

sadly the hacking community the better part of a decade ago invented scripts that ran at 29 and 59 after the hour and looked for conflicts then polled other tivo's on the network to find a free tuner.

With the boxes already connected to tivo.com and the ability to set recordings and all- they could even do that today from their web servers without any heavy lifting on the tivo's. Probably a good web developer could make it happen in a week. (only half kidding about a week...)

Even if it wasn't bulletproof and just forced a better suggestion on the other tivos in the house it would be better than nothing.

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Even with lifetime Tivos, I would pay a one time fee for this feature... and for the ability to have padding on shows on the same channel and still use ONE tuner (which, for me, in many cases would effectively double the number of tuners I have, since I like to pad almost everything).

11. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I've never seen this as required feature, YMMV, if I had that many issues with conflicts I could always buy an Elite later this year :cool:

12. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, even Hulu plus is not a required feature but it helps to sell the Premiere. The Elite is really for the Cable COs. It's not meant for those that have OTA only. Anyway, this is the most important feature that they could possibly be working on and still they have let their customers down again. Oh well, typical Tivo lately.

13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    For once I am fully behind the complainers.

TiVo needs to prove to people they offer a Premium product worth paying for and cooperative scheduling would be a premium feature they could point too to.

I would think it would work best if I could manage the feature on my "Season Pass manager" web page. I should simple be able to link multiple TiVos together and set which TiVo I would prefer each show to be recorded on.

I do agree that Premiere to Premiere steaming would make this feature more useful for cable people but I think it has high value even if you can not stream unit to unit if setup properly

Thanks,

14. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    +1 :up:

15. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    With a 4 tuner model and a model that can stream from it, I don't think TiVo would waste resources developing something like this. They have basically created and alternative method that is much easier to explain to the average consumer.

16. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Didn't Replaytv have this ability? How hard could it be for Tivo to do this?

17. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I would buy an elite without hesitation if is supported 4tuner, OTA + analog cable.

18. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    not hard at all- as above hackers had it working on tivos years and years ago.

add it to the list of too lazy to bother.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    4 tuners IS NOT ENOUGH, because if you ADD PADDING to recordings (which is NECESSARY to not have cut off recordings), it essentially has HALVED your number of tuners. So this is still needed..

I don't think I've ever even SEEN a ReplayTV in person.. but as far as I understand, no, ReplayTV did not have this ability -- at least not in the way people expect it to work.

I believe it had *MANUAL* cooperative scheduling. In other words, if you MANUALLY try to record something on the local ReplayTV.. it would ask you if you want to record it on the other one if there was a conflict. But DID NOT do this for the rough equivalent of season passes. (And I say rough because AFAIR, there wasn't even a SP manager on Replays, right?)

20. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    Yes it did. As well as streaming from one unit to any other in the same subnet. And the ability to remotely connect to another unit with full functionality. Worked very well, too, given a solid network infrastructure.

For cooperative programming, if there was a conflict, RTV would ask if you wanted to try to schedule it on another unit and then find a happy home for the recording if possible. The down side was that the recording listings were not integrated, so you'd have to manually connect to whichever remote unit held the recording to view its listings. Once located, you could stream it from the remote unit to the local unit.