New Elite refuses to play nice with Yamaha AVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jmpage2, Jan 15, 2012.

1. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    So, after reading about all the new goodies that TiVo has on tap for us over the next six months (with this newest update as well as CES stuff) I finally took the plunge and decided to replace the 5 year old TiVo HD in my family room with a shiny new TiVo Elite.

The problem is that, even after getting the latest 14.x update, the TiVo Elite refuses to output HD resolutions to my Yamaha AVR (480i and 480p work fine). This is a high end Yamaha RXV-1800 that is only about four years old. It has had a pile of stuff connected to it from the old TiVo HD (which worked fine), to PS3, XBOX, Boxee Box and even a custom built home theater PC.

It absolutely boggles my mind that the TiVo, even with the "newest" software update in the 14.x branch refuses to talk to my AVR over HDMI.

I realize I can hook the TiVo up directly to the TV and then hook up optical to the AVR, but that's a pain in the ass and I shouldn't have to do it with a TiVo that I just spent $1000 on with lifetime service... especially when my four+ year old TiVo HD handled the same connection with NO ISSUES.

Is there anything I'm missing here that will fix this? Because, chances are I'm' going to return it.

2. xbr23

xbr23 Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    i haven't had any issues routing my Tivo Elite through a Pioneer Elite Receiver Model# VSX-01TXH which is about the same age as your Yamaha.

i think your problem is a either a Tivo output setting issue or the old HDMI handshake problem. try by passing your receiver and route the Tivo straight to your TV to make sure you TV can handle the resolution output by the Tivo box. Check your Tivo output resolutions one at a time to your TV to verify what your TV can handle.

it your TV and Tivo are both happy together, try your Yamaha again and maybe use some different HDMI cables to see if that helps.

3. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    My Yamaha AVR only offers two HDMI video output options, "pass through" and "scale". Either of these results in the aforementioned problem.

This is clearly a TiVo issue (I'm guessing that the TiVo software for doing an HDMI handshake simply sucks), I'm just double checking here to make sure there is no specific TiVo setting that I am unaware of that could potentially clear things up.

4. rabinny

rabinny New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I would check with Yamaha and see if there is a firmware update for the reciever.

5. xbr23

xbr23 Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    i have my Tivo to output 1080i and 1080p Only.

6. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I have the same Yamaha RXV-1800 as you do. I have my Elite, dvd player and a hd Comcast box connected to it with no problems. Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

7. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Yes, I just ripped the system apart and ran a new HDMI cable. Same problem. I have updated the firmware on my Yamaha in the past, on two different occasions to fix issues such as DTS-MA bitstream dropouts that used to occur, etc.

I am now extremely confused, as you report yours works. Which HDMI input is yours connected to if you don't mind my asking?

What resolutions do you have programmed on the TiVo and what TiVo software version(s) have worked with the RXV1800?

Thanks.

8. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Okay, I fixed it. It is embarrassing so I will share the info so someone else doesn't potentially get struck with the same problem.

I connected the TiVo Elite to the input for my PS3 and it immediately came up. I sat there scratching my head for awhile until it occurred to me that I have a tiny passive HDMI splitter that's been installed on the TiVo HD now for something like 2+ years. This is hooked up inside of my cabinet and when I swapped cables it didn't even occur to me that this was inline.

I yanked the HDMI splitter out and now it's working. Thanks for everyone's help. It is curious that the TiVo refuses to operate with the splitter, and I will have to find another solution to handle output of video to the TV that is outside on our patio, but I can tackle that another day.

Thanks again for the responses. It sure beats boxing the damn thing up and returning it.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    get an active splitter instead of passive. Passive splitters can cause nothing but trouble especially if the devices are not identical.

10. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    Glad you fixed the problem. I was just going to say I also have an Elite connected to an RXV-1800 with no problems.

11. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I am using this splitter to split my signal to the amp and to my bedroom tv.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8154&seq=1&format=2

12. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Thanks.

Ironically I had been considering purchase of an Onkyo 809 to replace the Yamaha but had put it off to make the TiVo Elite purchase. Imagine my frustration when it looked like I would have to replace the Yamaha BECAUSE I replaced the TiVo first. Eek.

13. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Passive HDMI splitters don't work well where HDCP is involved. And the TiVo uses HDCP heavily.

Even many active splitters have problems with that.

14. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    The cheapest thing to try is just get a different HDMI cable to connect it, and see if that helps.