New DVR Activation Question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by CliffHanger, Feb 3, 2006.

1. CliffHanger

CliffHanger New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Coppell, Texas
    I am having a house built but it won't be ready until March or April. I have planned for a long time to get another DirectTivo when we move in. I have even had the house pre-wired for it.

Based on what I have read here I want to get the R10 box and was ready to order one today, but then I remembered that thing about how you have to activate the new box within a short time after you get it. Right now I'm living in an apartment and can't really use Directv. Can I just have them activate it even though it won't work? Does it just have to be completely set up or just hooked to a phone line? I figure Directv will just tell me to wait and order the box from them when we are moved in but I don't want an R15. I am so used to the Tivo interface and hacks, I don't want to go that route. Value Electronics only has a few of the R10's left and I noticed that Best Buy has taken them off of their web site.

2. kiddk1

kiddk1 The KIDD

Oct 9, 2003
    MOTOWN
    you have to activate it within 30 days or they will charge you $150. You can get it and activate and then just store it but I do believe you have to hook it up to activate it.

3. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme New Member

Nov 13, 2003
    ohio
    The r-10 must have a phone line connection to activate. then you can unhook from the line.

4. Want1394

Want1394 New Member

Oct 4, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    You can activate the machine just fine (as far as DirecTV is concerned) without it being connected. Just call them and give them the numbers (serial, RID, TiVo Service) and say thanks when they ask you if you are seeing the channels. Later, you will need to call them again and have them resend the activation signals to the card, when it it really connected to a dish.

5. Markman07

Markman07 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 18, 2001
    Minnesota
    When you get it really hooked to a dish you also can just call and use the automated system. When it asks for the error code put in 721 and it zaps you again..and in most cases it starts working right away (sometimes requires a reboot)