New drive/image 24 hours in C&DE

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Jon Kranes, Jan 11, 2021 at 6:54 AM.

1. Jon Kranes

Jon Kranes New Member

Nov 25, 2020

Advertisements

Tivo Premiere XL
    New WD Red Plus 4TB drive.
    Ran WD Full diagnostics. No problems found
    Restored new 4TB image using DvrBARS.
    Booted into Guided Setup, ran Guided Setup just to test everything.
    Ran C&DE, 24 hours so far. (I want to restore back to Guided Setup).

From other forum posts it does not seen normal for C&DE to take so long on a good drive. Any thoughts on what could be going on? Should I go back to the beginning, erase the drive and try again? Or keep waiting for C&DE to finish?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021 at 7:05 AM
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you restored from the image again, then everything would repeat. The C&DE MUST marry the MB and the drive image.

Yes, C&DE can take a long time, even overnight or longer.
    After its complete, it will go to Guided Setup.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021 at 7:57 AM
  3. Jon Kranes

Jon Kranes New Member

Nov 25, 2020
    OK, I'll let it continue for at least 48 hours before abandoning hope.

4. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    To me that seems excessive for a C&DE especially if it is not full of recordings. If that 4 TB Premier XL (TCD748) image is from ggieseke, then when you booted up, it should marry the image to the unit and you should not have to do a C&DE.

5. jmiller50

jmiller50 Member

May 1, 2010

Advertisements

I think its a well known problem with Premiere models running TE3. I tried doing a Clear Guide Data & ToDo-List before Christmas and mine was stuck at that screen for 6 days before I could get a KS 57 to work. But I don't think you need to do that. Just reimage the drive and you should boot up into the guided setup.

6. Jon Kranes

Jon Kranes New Member

Nov 25, 2020
    48 hours now. Giving up. Yes it's a ggieseke image. If I assume the failure of C&DE is not a sign of some problem that needs to be solved, then what steps should I do now to prep the disk for another full Restore? Do I need to run Erase from the WD Diagnostics or can I just restore the image again with the disk in its current state?

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You never mentioned the exact drive model. I assume its a WD40EFRX (old version,) and that would be fine.
    BUT, if its a WD40EFAX (new version,) then it would not work.

8. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    You can run a quick erase with WD Diagnostic and then restore the image.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

9. Jon Kranes

Jon Kranes New Member

Nov 25, 2020
    It's a Red Plus (EFRX). I'm going to do the WD erase and then restore again. Assuming that after that it boots again to Quick Start, I'll assume it's good to go and call it a day. This will be sold so my main goal is to have confidence that I'm not passing some unsolved problem on to the buyer.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021 at 10:44 AM
  10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
  11. Jon Kranes

Jon Kranes New Member

Nov 25, 2020
    Just to clarify the WD model naming and codes, which they seem to have made unnecessarily confusing.

Red Plus = CMR = EFRX models below 8TB but EFAX 8TB and 10TB and EFFX for 14TB
    Current Red = SMR = EFAX (only offered in 2-6TB). Not good for TiVo.
    Older Red model may be CMR/EFRX. Existing stock may be sold as "Red Plus" even if the label says "Red"

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021 at 11:15 AM
  12. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I honestly don't know if my 748 images need a C&DE to marry the drive to the motherboard or not. First thing to check after restoring the image is the TiVo Serial Number in the System Information screen. If it's all zeros you need to run C&DE. If it has the correct TSN, record something and then reboot the box. If the recording doesn't disappear after the reboot you're good to go.

13. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I'd try a KS57 first.

If that fails try a KS76543210 .

-KP

14. Jon Kranes

Jon Kranes New Member

Nov 25, 2020
    I've started the full restore. Takes about 24 hrs....

ggieseke: the previous time through the serial number (I assume this is "TiVo service number"?) did show up correctly after running Guided Setup, and it correctly identified my lifetime service. I did not test any recordings so do you recommend I do this before concluding the system is good to go? I want to ultimately get it back to Guided Setup so I assume this would mean yet another restore after verifying the recording, unless there is some other way to put it back into Guided Setup state, as it seems the C&DE does not work for whatever reason.

15. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    You might need to force connect the TiVo to the TiVo servers several times afterward it boots up before trying a C&DE and make sure the guide data has been fully updated. Might consider running a KS 57 on it prior doing a C&DE as well.

16. Jon Kranes

Jon Kranes New Member

Nov 25, 2020
    Thanks for the suggestions. Once my restore finishes (looks like in a few hours) I'm going to try this.

17. Jon Kranes

Jon Kranes New Member

Nov 25, 2020
    So. Finished the restore. Went though Guided Setup. Everything looked good.
    Recorded a movie. Tested playback of the recording.
    Rebooted. Everything worked as expected ... but the recorded movie was gone!
    Suggestions for what to try next? KS 57?

18. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    A KS 57 followed by another recording, playback, and reboot.

19. Jon Kranes

Jon Kranes New Member

Nov 25, 2020
    Sadly, after KS 57, recordings still do not survive restart. Other than this fatal problem, everything behaves normally.

20. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Try KS 58. Make sure you force connect to the TiVo servers several times before rebooting. If that does not work, then a KS 76543210 which is a factory reset. Cannot guarantee it won't boot loop.