1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 'Directv' TIVO DVR in the works for 2018/2019? - WHAAAAAT??

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by punkmfr, Jan 13, 2018.

1. punkmfr

punkmfr New Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Now this is interesting. I had to pass this on. Nothing of this is confirmed but HELL was it a fascinating conversation with DTV today.

Shocked Who Knows, Maybe? Would be great of any of this was to be true.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTV
    'Far and few Tivo users still holding on with
    these units (referring to THR22.) Rumblings up here lately regarding
    something new in the works from them.

Me-
    'Huh?' Tivo? We are talking TIvo not DTV DVR but Tivo DVR?
    Did I hear that right?

DTV-
    Well, nothing confirmed as of yet. Though given we upped a new deal
    with them in October, there for sure heavy hinting of something
    full somewhere down the line. Not dead in the water by any means.

Me -
    'Im shocked, not only to hear this (of course rumblings, etc) but more shocked
    to speak to anyone who has any insight to TIVO as a brand /partner up at Directv.

DTV -
    LOL. No I was here for the first one, was here for the second
    one and hopefully will be here for the third one. They do say 'Third Time's A Charm,'

---- AGAIN i am just passing on....I really am shocked that someone took the time to discuss or have knowledge about TIVO up at DTV. ....

paracelsus likes this.
  2. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    I will believe it when I see it, but don't think ATT DirtyTV will allow anything to complete with the crappy Genie box. ATT DirtyTV is losing customers left and right, so ATT just might try to officer 4k Tivo's to retain customers.

3. punkmfr

punkmfr New Member

Dec 7, 2017
    i do agreee which is why i was taken off guard with such an extended tivo conversation with them. DTV Genie is a horrific nightmare especially after their recent MENU GUI redo which had left my entire household TV's useless. Replaced with (4) DTIVO units THR22...thus being the service phone call leading .

DTV really should take a lesson from the graphic design team at TIVO.

I would REALLY REALLY REALLY love to sit with the graphic designer (s) who are responsible for ruining millions of peoples TV experiences ...
    better yet, love to sit with the team of exec at DTV who claimed BRILLIANT! THIS IS STUNNING REDESIGN ! ROLL IT OUT ASAP !

---- cuz you know they be smoking some of that GOOD HEAD CRACK METH COCAINE .....not that cheap stuff on the street

---- FAILING COMFORTABLY UPWARDS is what we call it!

4. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    The Hydra UI is designed to be easily ported to other platforms, so we could see a Genie running Hydra. You can be sure it will be TiVo software on their hardware like the THR-22. TiVo software is more efficient than DirecTV's so it is much snappier than their own on the same hardware. I'll see if any of my old DTV contacts have any details.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  5. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Diana, please bribe them with chocolate if you have to. :)

6. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    I spoke with a contact in engineering at DirecTV (one of the few of my contacts still at DirecTV) and he says he has not heard of anything about this. He suggested that since they recently renewed their licenses to Tivo for the patents they use from both legacy Rovi and TiVo, someone may heard about that and jumped to some conclusions. He also admitted that it is possible that there could be negotiations going on that he hasn't heard about, but he noted that it would be unlikely a tech rep would have heard about them either.

Sorry I don't have better news. :(

7. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Member

Apr 2, 2005

Who said this to you? If it was a tech rep then I agree with the other poster, worthless.

8. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    What a shame. I had DirecTV for 25 years, but finally canceled.

If they began offering actual DirecTiVo receivers again, I'd resubscribe.