New DirecTV Tivo and DivX

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jn8199, Feb 16, 2012.

1. jn8199

jn8199 New Member

Feb 15, 2006

Advertisements

I have a couple of issues here.

Just got the new DirecTV Tivo that I have been waiting my entire adult life. At the same time, I was in the process of ripping all of my DVDs to a media center PC.

I have several questions on this that I thought the community may be able to help with:

First, Can I use this new box to stream video from my home PC? It appears in some areas that i can use Tivo Desktop Plus to do this. In which case, which file format should I use to maximize picture.

My option had been to handbrake my DVDs into MP4 for Apple TV and stream to Apple TV, but I only get 420p.

I am less concerned about how much storage I need and more concerned about maximizing picture quality and getting DVD menus/special features to work. I would love to get HD.

For this reason, I have been drawn to DivX, but do not have experience with it.

Second, some things I have found on the internet suggest I can not use Tivo Desktop Plus on my new DirecTV Tivo, just the basic. Is this a hard and fast rule or just another example of those facists at DirecTV trying to stifle Tivo functionality?

Can anyone offer any incite?

2. Johnwashere

Johnwashere Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    I use my premier and HD to copy all my 720p MKV files from my windows 7 pc. It was wonderfully and surround sound even works so I was able to remove my HTPC from my seutp. I use pyTivo to make this work.
    http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/PyTivo

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The THR22 does not support streaming of any kind at this time. Who knows if it ever will?

There is a version of TiVo Desktop that works with the THR22, but only for photos and music.

You might consider a Roku box or similar.