New DirecTV HD10-250 Questions

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by rnmcdowell, Jan 23, 2006.

1. rnmcdowell

rnmcdowell Registered User

Jan 23, 2006
    New Jersey

Advertisements

First, can I use the USB ports on this receiver to connect to a wireless home network and do my updates, manage music files etc. Doesn't seem from what I read that this is possible with a DirecTV receiver.

Second, I had an older model DirecTV Receiver (Hughes) which had a cable output that I used to feed the signal to a small TV in the kitchen. The new receiver doesn't have this output, so what do I need to do to use both receivers and continue to get the signal to the kitchen TV. I can leave the old receiver in the same location I had it, but I only have two cables coming to that area from the original installation.

2. morgantown

morgantown DTV + Tvio = ;-)

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    First, unfortunately not without hacking it.

Second, run the RCA output through a VCR/DVD, etc. and then on to the kitchen.

3. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Even if hacked, the HD10 is running version 3 level software, and so it doesn't have native support for music file management and the like. You can run TiVoWebPlus, and some other utilities, but the HMO-style features require at least version 6.

Another option, if you don't have a VCR handy, is to pick up a cheap RF modulator on eBay or at RadioShack. You'd just hook the composite video into the modulator and it will generate the same channel 3 or 4 output the old receiver did.

4. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    walmarts or home depots ( i forget which one sorry) 15 dollar modulator does the trick for me. bought one then went to the other store to price them, the thing was much smaller a unit and a bit cheaper. Behind the maze of wires I have, smaller is better.

5. rnmcdowell

rnmcdowell Registered User

Jan 23, 2006
    New Jersey

Advertisements

Thanks....good suggestions from both Dan and morgantown. Here's the problem. I have the video and audio outputs from my going to my DVD Recorder so I can transfer stuff from the HR DVR to the recorder, and there is only one set of these jacks. Unfortunately my DVR (Panasonic DMR-E55) while it has a 75 ohm output indicates in the manual that it doesn't send the video and audio signals to a TV...and it doesn't. I tried that. I also have a VCR and I could run the HR 10-250 through that, but then I think I may not be able to run that on into the Panasonic DVR and record DVRs from the HR 10. I can't use the RD modulator approach I don't think, because I have the HR 10-250 running through the TV or HDMI and when you do that the composite outputs don't work, according to the manual. Other ideas guys? Thanks!

6. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You have to switch the HR10 to 480i mode to enable the composite and S-Video outputs.

Sounds like you need an A/V receiver to route signals.