New DirecTV HD Installations Info

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by annenoe, Jan 26, 2006.

1. annenoe

annenoe He's a Smooth Fox

Oct 19, 2003
    Mountain...
    So, we're making many calls back and forth w/ DirecTV and learned something new today.

We had HD installed in San Jose, Ca on Friday Jan 20 (new dish, new receiver).
    Husband was trying to get a deal on the HD DVR. After going thru many CSRs, he reports to me today that we got one of the "newest" dishes, a 5-line dish (tho' 2 of the lines are not yet operable b/c the satellites aren't broadcasting yet). The installer told us our new dish is NOT compatible with the HD DVR. You'd be interested to know we've talked to 3 other CSRs who never bothered to tell us.

I am assuming that all the talk on these boards about the hr10-250 HD DVRs is from folks w/ an older dish (the 3-line)? Can some confirm for me??

BTW, we ended up keeping the old receiver which is hooked up to our tivo. We have the HD feed hooked up directly to the tv but have no tivo. The tivo is hooked up to another input on the tv. So there I am last night, watching Lost in HD (but I can only get up during the commercials) and tivoing it in the background (in case i fall asleep).

And now it takes us at least 3 remotes to watch - have to switch sources with TV remote, use DirecTV remote when watching HD live, or tivo remote when watching thru tivo.

gack - you know, they can put a man on the moon....

2. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    The HR10-250 will work fine with the new 5 LNB dish. The new dish receives everything that the older, 3 LNB dish does, plus the new MPEG-4 signals, when they become available. The HR10-250 will not receive MPEG-4 but will continue to receive MPEG-2 signals, which are still being broadcasted.

3. annenoe

annenoe He's a Smooth Fox

Oct 19, 2003
    Mountain...
    As I suspected, they are lying to us. Thanks for the info.

4. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    You are welcome. I kinda doubt that they are flat-out lying, though. They are probably uninformed.

5. rmyers

rmyers New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    I have my HR-10 connected to the new dish. The only thing that doesn't work is that I can't get my local HD channels via satellite, like I can in the other room with a standard HD box.

6. brott

brott at redh dot com

Feb 23, 2001
    Pleasanton, CA
    This would be expected (you probably know that). The HR10-250 supports MPEG2 broadcasts. The SF locals are in MPEG4 and require different hardware to receive. There is NO MPEG4 capable DVR available for DirecTV at this time, but a Non-TiVo DVR will be available in the future.