New DirecTV dish for THR22?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Klankster, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Klankster

Klankster Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Port...
    Hi all,

I'm looking forward to getting the new THR22 from DirecTV when they go national, but have a question about the dish mounting hardware and self-install.

I had DirecTV with an HR10-250 until it was no longer working with the HD they were broadcasting. I had a triple-LNB dish mounted on my roof -- it's actually still up there.

Here's the issue -- I have a clay tile roof and because the mounting mast is still up there, I'd prefer to re-use the mast if possible, otherwise I have to get the roofers out here and spend some serious bucks for them to mess with cutting the clay tiles and putting new lead flashing around the new mast base.

Will my old mast from the triple-LNB dish work with the new dish that is required for the THR22? That would sure be nice, as I could easily do the self-install without a lot of grief and expense. I've always done self-install, mostly because I don't want some DirecTV installer crawling around on my expensive and fragile tile roof! :rolleyes:

Hopefully someone knows if the mast hardware is compatible or not.

Thanks.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    No, the old mast will not work. It's 1.75" diameter and the new dish requires a 2" diameter mast. When you add the THR22 to your account, DirecTV should come provide an HD Slimline dish with free installation. Best to avoid the tile roof and mount the dish on a side wall or pole mount in the ground.

3. Klankster

Klankster Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Port...
    Dang. Ok, thanks for the quick reply!

4. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    Find a piece of two inch pipe with an 1/8 wall and use it to adapt the current mount to the new dish. Home Depot, Lowes, Fencing like Longs or Plumbing supply whatever it takes. Worse case you bend a piece of 1/8 inch aluminum into a spacer.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Risky. The Slimline dish is bigger and heavier than their old dish. At least two monopoles are also required, and those would have to be fastened to the tile roof somehow.

6. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    DirecTV will not install in this manner.