New Direct TV HD Channels not supported on TiVO Boxes

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Cutty, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Cutty

Cutty New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Any recommendations? Direct TV tells me that my 10-250 only supports MPEG2, thus, it won't be able to pick up the new 70 HD channels being added this month. Only way to get the new channels is via the upgraded DTV HD DVR (and new dish). I've heard lots of horror stories of DTV's box.

Also, WTF with the new TIVO upgrades in 08.....BFD if you can't get all the new channels!!!

This whole DTV / TIVO thing sucks! :mad:

2. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    Get an HR-20 or wait a bit for the new HR-21. There really is, currently, no alternative for HD on DTV.

The HR-20 is really not too bad the only real weakness is the total lack of anything like functional wishlists so there is no way to auto-record the same show title off more than one ch or to setup a recording for shows that are not currently. But, that aside, the HR-20 is quite an acceptable DVR now that DTV has released the latest software.

3. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    No the 10-250 will not get the New HD Channels as you have said, it does not get MPeg 4 only 2.

So your only option for the new SAT HD is Directv's in house DVR. If you want a Tivo based unit go and cry to Tivo. Its not Directv's fault. They are upgrading to better things (Mpeg 4 etc) and yet people complain because their old units will not work anymore.

The HR20 is not a bad unit, and the HR21 is looking even better. Its about time to let Tivo die for Directv and move on.

Also, no matter how many Software updates they bring out nothing will change the fact about the 10-250. To get MPeg 4 it needs a Hardware not Software mod.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Don't cry to TiVo, it is not their fault they cannot make a new HD-DVR compatible with the latest DirecTV HD channels. It lies purely in DirecTV not letting TiVo make one, since TiVo cannot go on their own and build a DirecTV HD-DVR, nor make a standalone HD-DVR compatible with separate HD receivers (not DirecTV's fault in that one though, just a matter of technology that would make it economically impractical).

5. jblake

jblake New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    This has been known for the past two years, so I dunno why the big deal now. This has been coming, it has been well discussed. It's mostly DirecTV's fault because they did not renew the Tivo contract and went with NDS, and that was a News Corp decision. Now, there is a chance that there will be new Tivos, but I wouldn't hold my breath.