New details on upcoming Australian TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by sfalvey, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Jan 9, 2008 #1 of 36
    sfalvey

sfalvey Long time lurker

Feb 26, 2004
    Sydney,...

Advertisements

Just come across some info on the upcoming TiVo for Oz presented at CES....

In Summary
    Positives
    Kidzone - Enhanced parental control as far as I can see
    100+ Free internet TV channels includes wish list searching
    Internet movie on demand (expected to be PPV)
    Series 3 with dual DVB tuners.
    TiVo to go download of content to PCs etc.
    Creation of DIY channels that can be shared with other TiVo users.

Negatives
    No news on price or launch date.
    Inclusion of ability to have inserted unskipable ads (prevention of FF, REW) both within programs and within menus
    No news on disk size

Reference
    http://www.theage.com.au/news/artic...1199554709370.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

2. Jan 9, 2008 #2 of 36
    terryeden

terryeden TiVo, Tivum, Tiva,

Nov 2, 2002
    Surrey
    According to DVB - http://www.dvb.org/dvb-deployment-data.xls
    Australia uses 7MHz channels on UHF and VHF - the UK has 8MHz on UHF. They use 8K exclusively whereas we use a mix of 2K and 8K (although we'll be at 8K only for ASO), they also use 64 QAM and we use a mix of 16 and 64.

So, the AUS$500 question (£225 + shipping and tax) is..... Will it pick up our FreeView?

Do US TiVo's have to connect to the Internet for their guide updates - or can they use an EPG provided by Digital TV?

I don't see any reason why it couldn't use the Internet channels - unless it uses IP Geolocation.

3. Jan 9, 2008 #3 of 36
    alunj

alunj New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    LLantwit Major
    They dont right now. My US Humax does all the internet stuff just fine.
    Only problem is I need as US address credit card to use amazon unbox on it.

4. Jan 9, 2008 #4 of 36
    sfalvey

sfalvey Long time lurker

Feb 26, 2004
    Sydney,...
    Going in the other direction, my Freeview boxes all worked in Australia but the lack of a dual VHF/UHF tuner meant I was not able to get all the channels.

I would expect taking a digital tuner in the other direction would work just fine. The downer would be on the HD broadcasts. Australia uses the same encoding for SD and HD - DVB-T broadcasts. When/if HD terrestrial is launched in the UK it will be on DVB-T2 using MPEG-4 I believe so even if the Australian TiVo can pick up Freeview it wont be compatible when HD starts.

5. bignoise

bignoise New Member

Oct 7, 2000

Advertisements

Well that sounds like something that can be tested. How much is a bog standard Australian DTT box? Anyone fancy ordering one and trying it out in this country?

6. sfalvey

sfalvey Long time lurker

Feb 26, 2004
    Sydney,...
    A cheapo SD box goes for about $50 (20 quid approx). Sometimes you can get them as low as $40 when they are on special.

Ironically ordering from web sites in Oz is often more expensive than buying from stores so YMMV on the price.

7. bignoise

bignoise New Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Interesting. By the way, have you advance registered with TiVo? They're looking for beta testers for the Australian one right now...

8. sfalvey

sfalvey Long time lurker

Feb 26, 2004
    Sydney,...
    Oh yes.

The email went out on the Oztivo mailling list last week. TiVo emailed out the invites to those on its own mailing list a week later they will notify successful applicants for the beta program soon hopefully.

sending positive thoughts, sending positive thoughts, sending positive thoughts, :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. Sneals2000

Sneals2000 New Member

Aug 25, 2002
    Maidenhead, UK
    AIUI there is a degree of compatibility between the UK and Aus implementation of DVB-T (apart from the UK being UHF only).

Apart from the BBC/C4/ITV/Five HD tests in London which were 8k - the UK is entirely 2k 16QAM and 2k 64QAM AIUI. However when the Crystal Palace tests were done prior to Freeview launching (after ITVDigital folded) 8k was trialled for receiver compatibility - and all boxes and IDTVs apart from the very early ONDigital models were fine. 8k is more robust than 2k AIUI - meaning 24Mbs 8k 64QAM is likely to match 18Mbs 2k 16QAM for coverage - the only real reason we are 2k only is that the very early silicon available when we launched DTT was 2k only... 8k also supports SFNs where multiple transmitters can use the same frequency, allowing "on-channel" relays and fill-ins to be used.

However AIUI there are also some differences when it comes to certain aspects of the standards in terms of housekeeping. It could be that most DVB-T firmware copes with both these days - as OEM manufacturers probably want a single model to sell in all DVB territories these days - though in Aus there are both SD-only and SD/HD boxes for their ageing DVB-T + MPEG2 HD standard.

(The UK is likely to be DVB-T2 + H264 for HD - eventually)

The US models use internet connectivity. AIUI Tivo provides more metadata than was provided by the DVB-T and PSIP EPGs used in the UK and US (and PSIP is OTA only and very poorly implemented compared to the UK 7 day EPG on Freeview). Freeview Playback has added some more metadata in the UK - not sure about Aus - but Tivo still has more I believe (stuff like actors etc.)

Though the listings would presumably be useless as you'd be getting them for the wrong geographic location... US boxes with a US EPG, Aus boxes with an Aus EPG etc...

10. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Especially as I believe Service Numbers cannot be hacked or altered on Tivo S3 models.

Thus the only way an Australian Tivo S3 would be made to work in the UK if it was with the blessing of Tivo Inc...........

11. sfalvey

sfalvey Long time lurker

Feb 26, 2004
    Sydney,...
    Something else I noticed about the DVB-T boxes in Australia. As there is no MHEG interactive content none of the boxes I have seen supports "Press Red" or "Text" etc. All the boxes have a red, blue, yellow, green button but they tend to be assigned to box specific functions such as aspect ratio or audio stream selection.

Given that, I wouldn't expect the Australian TiVo to have MHEG support either.

12. terryeden

terryeden TiVo, Tivum, Tiva,

Nov 2, 2002
    Surrey
    No great loss - unless it affects subtitles.

13. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
  14. sfalvey

sfalvey Long time lurker

Feb 26, 2004
    Sydney,...
    From the Sydney Morning Herald last week...

and CNET commentary on the issue.
    and Financial Review on it not being stocked by major retailers.

... even though the beta trialling is underway looks like they might drop it. :( Fingers crossed they make the right choice here and launch soon but I am now beginning to doubt it...

15. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    OK, why would that affect their plans? I don't see how the two are really related.

16. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    If the FTA Australian Freeview project sees the launch of PVR boxes with no monthly subscription charge with a decent range of channels to record from then why will anyone want to buy a more expensive Tivo box with a high monthly subscription to pay is the obviously line of thinking here.

17. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Because TiVo is better :)

What's the likelihood that an Australian freeview 'PVR' will be any better than the rubbish available here under that category?

18. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    When did being better ever guarantee anything in the nasty commercial world?

Look at Sky HD and V+ vs the outcome for Tivo UK. Or Betmax vs VHS etc, etc. Or look at Casio watches - consistently rubbish over many years but successful due to huge marketing clout and a worldwide distribution network

Well if they are lucky then they might manage to arrange for everything to work like Freeview Playback with proper Metadata and Series Links etc. But probably as the rubbish recorders with only one tuner and no Metadata will be chepaer the dumb public will buy those in droves instead.:(

19. PhilG

PhilG New Member

Jan 15, 2002
    ... and if they advertise the Tivo advantage the way they did over here then they're dead before they start :(:(:(

20. sfalvey

sfalvey Long time lurker

Feb 26, 2004
    Sydney,...
    OK so latest reports look like its happening after all.

AU$500 for the box (approx UKP200), however the proposed AU$10-12 (UKP4-4.80) subscription was the thing that made some of the retailers baulk. Your average Aussie would consider that too high and as a result the subscription cost will be "slashed" but what too they are not saying.

Launch still expected "before the Olympics".

Enjoy....

Gizmodo
    Afr