New Customer Feedback

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by smatm, Jul 20, 2011.

1. smatm

smatm New Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Overall, I'm quite pleased. I like searching for shows and having Tivo show me how can I record the show or watch it now on Netflix, Amazon, etc. The interface is lightyears ahead of the cable boxes...which is the primary reason I bought it and I'm not disappointed.

The only major feedback is the interface of Amazon and Netflix need to be improved. My Panasonic TV has "Vieracast" and the Amazon and Netflix interface through the TV is just as far ahead of the Tivo interface as the Tivo interface is ahead of the cable boxes. However, the HuluPlus interface on Tivo is great...so maybe we can expect an update for Netflix and Amazon to be more like HuluPlus?

Also, the interface sometimes seems a bit sluggish (compared to Uverse, which I used to have but they don't offer service where I'm at)...but just a little annoying, not that big of a deal.

Overall, great product and the drawbacks seem to be some minor software issues.

A late thought: it would be nice if Tivo could offer the volume of content as a Roku box. I'm not too familiar with this, but it seems it is easier to create content to stream on Roku...?

2. Jonathan316

Jonathan316 New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Have to agree with that. The Netflix player on Tivo is darn frustrating at times. Seems almost "bufferless" in the clumsy way you have to replay even a minute of a movie.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wait, you mean the other netflix interfaces *aren't* bufferless? I'm serious, I thought it might be a requirement of the netflix streaming that it be bufferless. Even a 1 minute buffer would fulfill the VAST majority of issues.

I know the other netflix interfaces are supposedly way better, I just thought they were better in terms of picking *what* to show, and not *hugely* better when you were actually streaming something.

(This is mostly moot since I'm almost certainly going to cancel streaming my first bill after Sep 1.)

4. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    I have used both the Roku and Tivo for Netflix, and the Roku works far better for everything from browsing to playback. The two of the new Rokus actually allow 1080p and 5.1 sound.

5. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Just got a 55" Vizeo LCD TV that has built-in net apps including Netflix. It works so well I shipped my month old Roku (which works great) off to my son.

Netflix on TiVo? Three or four years ago it might have been acceptable. Today it's archaic.