New Copy Protected channels on Frontier/Fios

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by thomas_k, Oct 30, 2016.

1. thomas_k

thomas_k New Member

Apr 7, 2014

Advertisements

Starting Thursday, the following channels' programs are showing up copy protected on Frontier (previously Verizon Fios) in the Dallas area:

550 - USA (NBCU)
    552 - TBS (Time Warner)
    568 - WGN (Tribune)
    680 - SyFy (NBCU)
    685 - Bravo (NBCU)
    689 - BBC America (AMC)
    690 - Comedy Central (Viacom)
    699 - Freeform (Disney)
    715 - MTV Live (Viacom)
    734 - IFC (AMC)

Previously the only channels protected were FX and some other Fox properties. The list above is probably incomplete, I only listed channels for which I have recordings.

I was wondering if others are seeing this on Frontier or Verizon in Dallas or other cities?

The most troubling thing about this is (as you can see from the list) there isn't just one company being blocked, this look like an almost blanket block of basic & extended tier channels. But some channels still show unprotected (Discovery, Cartoon Network, TruTV).

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Frontier usually lists EVERYTHING but locals as protected unlike Verizon which was only some pay channels and then the FX networks, sounds like they finally switched you over to Frontier settings, my condolences.

3. StewieGriffin

StewieGriffin New Member

Feb 20, 2003
    In Dallas area on Frontier FIOS, I am seeing this as well on:

569 - AXSTV
    752 - NICKHD
    780 - DISHD
    781 - DXDHD

It seems to have started on 10/27. Really a bummer!

4. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I was just posting this as well... Very unfortunate

5. thomas_k

thomas_k New Member

Apr 7, 2014

Advertisements

Well, this is all really bad news! Guess it's time to take a serious look at cutting the cord. I'm not going to make analog copies or resort to downloading for my own copies. So I might as well look at streaming options and OTA. Might even save some money.

Frontier is really shooting themselves in the foot here.

6. Nov 2, 2016 #6 of 13
    StewieGriffin

StewieGriffin New Member

Feb 20, 2003
    My channels are back in the clear today, no copy protection as before. Hopefully this was a mistake by Frontier and will stay this way!!!

7. Nov 2, 2016 #7 of 13
    caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County
    Something weird going on. Looking at kmttg for shows recorded over the weekend some channels that have never been copy protected have shows that can't be copied. Looking right now,
    I haven't found any copy-protected channels, including HBO and Fox channels.

(Shhhhh!)

but I haven't checked all of them.

8. Nov 2, 2016 #8 of 13
    thomas_k

thomas_k New Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Now all shows recorded since midnight today are not copy protected - shows that were copy protected before then are still copy protected, though.

I hope they stay non-cp, but not holding my breath...

9. Nov 2, 2016 #9 of 13
    ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I know you can see recordings in kmttg; however, is there an easy way tell what channels are marked copy protected?

10. caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County
    They have a brown background in the latest version, and will tell you they are copy protected if you try to transfer them.

11. ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That's the recordings. I'm asking about the actual channels.

12. thomas_k

thomas_k New Member

Apr 7, 2014
    I only know of one way - it's not easy. Go to Tivo Box Diagnostics (under Account and System Info) and each tuner will be listed along with the channel it is tuned to. Look for the CCI Byte, if it is 0x00, the channel can be copied, anything else is restricted (0x02 is typical for channels that can't be copied).

This is on a Roamio Pro.

13. ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've seen that, and yes, you are correct, it's not easy.