New Computer Hard Drive for Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jaileraj, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Jul 8, 2005 #1 of 10
    jaileraj

jaileraj New Member

Nov 29, 2004

Advertisements

I installed a new Maxtor 160Gb hard drive. I start the computer and go to My Computer and it is not listed. I go to add hardware and go through the wizzard and it says that the device is working ok. Under Device Managers, I check it out and it says not initialized. Any ideas. The computer does not see it under My Computer..thx
    I have no jumpers on it as it says to make it a slave

2. Jul 9, 2005 #2 of 10
    hitech_rednek

hitech_rednek Extreme Tech Weenie

Apr 30, 2005
    Eastern PA
    First you need to specify what operating system you're using...I'll take a guess and say Windows XP. If I'm right, you need to right-click on "My Computer", select "Manage" then go to "Disk Management". There you should see your old drive as "Disk 0" and new drive as "Disk 1" (assuming you don't have any others in there), and the CD/DVD drives if any further down. This is directly from the Help document for Disk Management:

Just make sure you're only doing this to the new drive and you should be ok. After you create the partition, you'll have to format it also. Right-click on it, select "Format" and select the filesystem type. Unless you're dual-booting Windows 98 or something, use NTFS and the default allocation size. This may take a little while to complete (maybe 10-15 minutes or more). Good luck.

3. Jul 9, 2005 #3 of 10
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    What does this question have to do with Tivo? Are you trying to format that drive to use in a Tivo, or just with your PC?

4. hitech_rednek

hitech_rednek Extreme Tech Weenie

Apr 30, 2005
    Eastern PA
    I was curious about that also. I assumed it was for storing recordings downloaded to the PC. If this drive is supposed to go *into* the TiVo, jaileraj, you are a bit off track. There are instructions for doing TiVo drive adds/upgrades and I would follow them to the letter. Booting the drive up in a Windows PC is definitely not part of the process.

5. jmattos

jmattos New Member

Dec 22, 2003

Advertisements

where are these instructions?

6. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    In the TiVo Upgrade Center forum.

7. jdlc11281

jdlc11281 New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    here's on quick question!... im having troulbe with my old tivo harddrive i took out I am placing it into my personal computer as a master drive(upgrading). I tired to formatt the harddrive with some western digital disk(50gb hddrv) but its hard to do so b/c it doesnt show up when the pc boots up. Am i suppose to do something else to unlock the harddrive or how do i get my computer to read the harddrive?

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You need to do an fdisk on that drive. And, then a format.

9. Mar 2, 2006 #9 of 10
    caliman

caliman New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    why my 250G TIVO harddrive show only 127G on my computer drive,any fix??

10. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Sounds like your PC doesn't have LBA48 support. There may be a BIOS upgrade for your PC to add that.