New components setup-- can you help?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Tymb, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Tymb

Tymb New Member

Feb 20, 2005

Advertisements

Starting to put together a very basic home theater system and figured there would be tons of material out there re. basic connections, but if there is I haven't found it. :confused:

We just bought a receiver with a couple of speakers (has to be better than the crappy sound we now get on the TV alone!). We also have a basic DVD player in the mix. All have HDMI ports so I assume that might be the way to go?

If someone could point me in the right direction to the best way to set things up with our TiVo HD I would much appreciate it.

Tym

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Use HDMI cables/ports if you have them one cable simple install. Plug a HDMI cable from each device into your receiver and then use a HDMI cable from your receiver into your TV.

Good place to get low cost HDMI cables is: http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

Good Luck,

3. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I am sorry to say that this subject can get VERY complicated, depending on the exact components you have and how simple you want the switching to be.

Certainly the easiest connections all around it to just use HDMI cables for everything - all the components (TiVo, DVD player) connect to the amp with HDMI cables, and the amp connects to your TV with HDMI. In this setup, all of your switching from one device to another will be done with the amplifier remote. But if you do not have a universal remote, you will than need to switch to the separate component remote to control play.

The problem for you, I fear, is that cheap amplifiers rarely have HDMI pass through (although it is getting much more common). So if your amp does not have them, we will need a lot more details about each item before we could suggest a good setup.

4. lastdeadcat

lastdeadcat 22 years in Alaska

Mar 14, 2005
    Duvall, WA
    My A/V receiver doesn't do HDMI, but it does do optical digital audio. I run the HDMI direct from the TiVo to the TV. Then I run optical digital from the TiVo the to the A/V receiver. TiVo will output an HDMI signal and an optical digital signal at the same time with no problems.

I do use an Logitech Harmony universal remote that has activity settings to simplify using the system without switches or multiple remotes. Works fine this way.

The key is to go to the A/V from the TiVo direct. Don't try using the optical or any other audio out from the TV. The 5.1 audio is reduced to 2.0, but not if it goes direct from the TiVo to the R/V receiver.

5. Tymb

Tymb New Member

Feb 20, 2005

Advertisements

Thanks for the input (and thanks to others who replied)

It looks like
    this receiver does have HDMI pass through (?). At least there's 4 HDMI in ports and one HDMI out and I've connected the Tivo & DVD to the ins and a HDMI cable from the HDMI out to the TV, and after a bit got things working.

FM radio and DVD working and still a number of receiver specific "features" to figure out and as you noted, absent a universal remote it is a bit of a juggling act. One step at a time... :)

6. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 Member

May 2, 2002
    Sounds like you have it figured out. Using your receiver for pass-thru saves having to change TV inputs for each component.

Maybe it's just me, but I've tried several pricey universal remotes, and I always end up back using the two or three originals that came with the hardware components. Mostly, I like the TiVo peanut remote as it has become like an apendage over the years and it also controls the power to the TV and volume at the receiver. Grabbing the dvd player remote when I load a disk isn't a major problem either. So, we have a remote "basket" on the coffee table for the TiVo, receiver, DVD player. The main power amp is left on 24/7.

I will say the wife thinks our theater is too complicated to run, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing since she has her TiVo and widescreen in the bedroom. =)