New Comcast wireless gateway supports MoCA 2.0

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tarheelblue32, Sep 10, 2014.

1. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
  2. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
  3. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I thought 2.0 was backward compatible with older MoCA standards.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It is.

5. ejasons

ejasons New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Beaverton,...

Advertisements

??? You can purchase your own cable modem and/or router for Comcast. I do. Where did you get the idea that you couldn't?

6. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
  7. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    And telephone modem combination as I did Arris.

8. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    I wasn't clear. Yes you can buy your own third party router and modem for use with Comcast, I'm just specifically talking about that product isn't currently for sale for the customer to own from what Comcast told me, only lease.

9. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    It is, just was saying if people thought that because it's MoCA 2.0 they would be getting better performance, they'd be mistaken since nothing currently from TiVo supports 2.0. :)

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Though AFAIK, you can't get the ones that do VOIP. Not like I care, but many people do.

11. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    There is one eMTA that you can own and will work with Comcast. Then add a router and you're good to go. Most savvy users wouldn't use their overpriced phone service though, and would either go cell-only or use Ooma. Just as savvy users aren't going to be renting their rip-off modems or gateways.

12. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Is MOCA making a comeback? It seemed like it died out. Adapters were pretty hard to find. If I went to Newegg and looked for MOCA equipment I might not have found anything. But now Tivo has it built-in. MOre cable companies are using it. And now they have a 2.0 standard.

My experience since I got the Roamio Minis last month is that MOCA works for streaming video. I had a few lost signals but that's it.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I don't use it either, but as part of a triple play, for someone who is going to use VOIP anyway, isn't it *then* competitively priced? That is, if someone did want all 3 functions, isn't getting all 3 from the cable company cheaper than getting cable + internet from the cable company, then VOIP from some other company?

If it is, then lessening your price by buying your equipment still isn't a bad idea.

14. meoge

meoge New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    That was certainly the case for me. I did have a double play from Comcast and Vonage for phone. We need the phone line for our security system. When my Comcast promotional rate was up I called and they offered me a triple play package that was $5 cheaper than my double play package. The phone was essentially free and I was still saving money so we dropped Vonage. I've always owned my own modem so I found a best buy about an hour away that sold the Arris TM722G. It's the same modem that they rented at the time. I just don't like to pay $8 a month forever.

15. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Not in the retail market. MoCA is widely used by MSOs. DirecTV uses DECA, Verizon uses MoCA WAN and LAN, and cable providers use it for whole-home DVR. It's just not widely adopted in the retail space.

My MoCA on TiVo works pretty well. It drops out occasionally, but it's not great wiring either, and there's a bunch of splitters in there...

No. It costs $20/mo more to get triple-play than double-play from Comcast. Ooma costs ~$4/mo for basic service, or with a crapload of features that Comcast doesn't have ~$14/mo. The reality, however, is that most people don't want annoying home phones anymore.

Yeah, the stupid security system is the killer. My parents still have a copper line because of that. Luckily, we don't have one of those stupid things (hooked up anyways), so no need for a phone line...

16. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    You shouldn't be using a traditional phone line for security system monitoring anyways. The first thing a smart burglar does is cut the phone line. Tell your parents to get wireless monitoring for their security system and dump the phone line.

17. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    The burglar part of it is kind of useless anyways, it's more for the fire aspect. The wireless monitoring is a rip-off at an additional $20/mo.

18. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I think we only pay an additional $5/month for wireless monitoring. Nevertheless, if you are paying $40/month for a landline, paying $20/month for wireless monitoring and dropping the landline would still be much cheaper.

19. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I tried to convince them to get Comcast's crappy phone service, as that would be cheaper to set up and be the same $20/mo, and provide a "landline" phone, but they seem very attached to that piece of AT&T copper. I keep trying to explain to them that they are paying basically $40/mo or more just for neg 48 reliability and nothing else, since calling is basically free at this point, but they don't seem to get it. The most ridiculous part is that they still have long distance on their landline. I told them to just drop to the most basic service possible and use their cell phones for long distance, but that doesn't seem to click either.

20. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I forced my parents to cut the landline. I set them up a free VoIP landline phone. But don't worry too much about it. AT&T will force them off the copper phone line in a few years anyway.