New categories for Amazon Unbox

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVoStephen, Aug 31, 2007.

1. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    If you head to TiVo Central -> Find Programs -> Download TV & Movies -> Amazon Unbox, you can take advantage of some new categories. The list of categories is now:

Special Deals
    Free Downloads (NEW!)
    Top Movie Rentals
    This Week's New Release Movies
    Latest TV Episodes
    New to Unbox: Movies (NEW!)
    New to Unbox: TV (NEW!)
    Top Movies
    Top TV Shows (UPDATED)
    Top Kids / Family Titles
    Top Foreign Films

Also, it's easier than ever to search Amazon Unbox's extensive catalog of titles via a prominent "Search for more from Amazon" item right below these categories.

Please let us know if you have any comments or suggestions.

Enjoy your holiday weekend with some great movie and TV downloads!

By the way, there are six great movies on sale for 99 cents this weekend: Hot Fuzz, Zodiac, 300, Breach, Ghost Rider, and Music and Lyrics.

Best regards,
    Stephen

2. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    i like it, i also noticed that amazon has re-worked thier website, I would this change to tivo interface followed suite...regardless it is excellent, makes it much easier to use service...also makes my wife like the idea of not having to wait for netflix movies even more.

3. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Good stuff, thanks!

Keep hammering them for HD, DD5.1, wide screen and more than 24 hours to watch them once they've started.

Besides that? :D

4. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    I need more than 24 hours and I'll rent away. I just finished watching Aviator recorded from my regular channels that I started watching last night. That's life with TiVo.

5. Sep 1, 2007 #5 of 17
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Nice work.

Do you have contact info for studio execs that we can lobby for extending the 24 hour viewing window?

6. Sep 1, 2007 #6 of 17
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    ....AND closed captioning!

7. Sep 1, 2007 #7 of 17
    MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    This is a welcome change.

Have the TiVo search been changed now so it will include everything on the website? It seemed like I always found way more stuff on the website than I did when I looked on my Tivo.

8. Sep 1, 2007 #8 of 17
    richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    I knew I forgot something!

9. Sep 1, 2007 #9 of 17
    RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Might be new categories but they've had the same movies in the "This Week's New Release Movies" for weeks now....

10. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    I like the new categories.

One thing I would like to see: When you look at TV episodes, it lets you download per episode, but I would like to see the option to buy the whole Season.

11. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    That's a good idea and has been suggested. I think one of the speed bumps is the available space on some people's TiVo's. If there's not enough space to download your order, it won't be fulfilled.

Some forum users have tried to order a single movie and after a lot of frustrating back-and-forth and accusations about Amazon's program not working they figured out that the actual problem was that there wasn't enough space on their TiVo's hard drive for the download.

I suspect that Amazon is hesitant to offer a whole season and then dealing with a lot of complaints about the download not working...when it generally ends up being a "user error".

12. Brainiac 5

Brainiac 5 New Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Columbia,...
    If you order on the web site, some (but not all) TV shows do offer the option to buy the whole season, at a discount. For instance, look up Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. In fact I used this option just recently, so I know what it does about the space issue - it gave me a message saying that it would download the first two episodes to the TiVo (which it did), and that I can download the remaining episodes by going to my Media Locker (or whatever they call it) on the Amazon web site.

13. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    :up:

14. buddhawood

buddhawood Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Anderson,...
    I ordered a couple movies (rental) to the wrong tivo and I want to redownload to the correct unit but I can't find out how. Has anyone done this? It says that these can download to two tivos but it doesn't tell how.

15. stor

stor New Member

Jul 15, 2007

You do this from YML (Your Media Library)

amazon_dot_com/gp/ays
    (hokey formatting due to forum restrictions)

Trivia note: "ays" stands for "All Your Stuff" :)

16. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    It only works for purchases, but doesn't really say so. I've had the same problem. Email Amazon, and they can credit you back the rental costs so you can rent them again, or they can change the status of the download so you can download them again.

17. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    previews for the special deals category would be helpful and make me go to tiVo vs the web site to order.