new CableCARD fixed my antenna strength woes

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jonglee, Oct 31, 2011.

1. jonglee

jonglee New Member

Dec 16, 2002

Advertisements

Just wanted to share my experience in case others are having trouble. I recently upgraded from a TivoHD using Comcast service to a Premiere (no other changes).
    Never had any problems with the TivoHD but when I got the Premiere, a few of the shows kept getting cut off as 'partial' and the Premiere didn't say why it was getting cut off (in the recording history area). After many chat sessions with Tivo and a long phone call, i figured out that certain channels were getting really bad fluctuations in antenna strength (again, using Comcast not an external antenna). There were no cable outages in my area at all, and no changes to my setup otherwise (same splitter, cables).
    I had already gotten my old CableCARD (which was about 4 years old) paired with the Premiere day I got the new box, but before sending my Preimere unit back within the 30 day period, I went to my local Comcast service center and they swapped me a new CableCARD for the old one (no charge). It was the same model from what I could tell (Motorola).
    In any case, I got home and followed the online instructions for re-pairing, and voila, no more problems with any recordings getting cut off.
    Again, just sharing in case this might help anyone else.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you've got Comcast for input, isn't that technically not "antenna" strengh?

Your title makes it sound like a cable card problem affected Over The Air reception, which one wouldn't ordinarily expect, even on a Tivo.

3. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Sounds like you had a problem with the CableCARD firmware rather than anything related to OTA reception. I agree with the previous poster that the OP thread topic is very misleading.

Don't want folks using both OTA and cable to think that OTA reception can somehow be improved by replacing the CableCARD.