1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New cable card firmware Comcast Motorola

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by drugrep, Aug 21, 2017.

1. drugrep

drugrep Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Woodridge, IL
    Had a issue with my Roamio today, none of my non-HD channels had any signal. The HD channels played fine.

I happened to notice the firmware on my Motorola Card was a newer version.

I restarted the Tivo and channels came in fine.

Not positive, but sort of assume new firmware to cable card caused issue.

Anyway, I’m posting this because I don’t see any discussion about a firmware update.

I have Comcast with Motorola Card that was previous on 6.25 I believe it was.

Now it says Arris and the firmware version is 7.15 dated 06/13/17

JoeKustra likes this.
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's interesting. I wonder how many people, like me, uncheck all SD channels so won't notice the change?

3. drugrep

drugrep Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Woodridge, IL
    Actually, still getting "Searching for a signal on this channel. V52" on a few channels.

Checked my other TV's with Comcast boxes and they are fine.

Most channels playing fine, but a few I'm not getting on TiVo now.

4. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    This is what mine says:

fw7.15.jpg
    I have no problems with SD channels on Roamio Pro. My unit did reboot last night though after downloading 20.7.2-RC24 but I wasn't watching it so I don't know if it would have had problems. My recordings from last night didn't have problems.

5. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I checked both my Roamio units and they still have 6.25 and no date. It still has Motorola too.

My boot is 3.25 and the FW (minus *) is 2.65.

6. drugrep

drugrep Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Woodridge, IL
    My boot is still 3.25.
    FW* 7.15
    FW 6.25

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Joe,

I didn't think you had Comcast?

Scott

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't. I also think the update is supplier dependent, so I may never receive it. I wonder what it does, besides mess up SD channels.

9. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    while taking the new 20.7.2rc24 software for a spin, i stumbled across the new firmware version on my moto m-card with comcast:

06.25 e 05/10/12 (previous)
    07.15 e 08/16/17 (new)

the only change i could immediately recognize was a branding change in the firmware to arris, no channel issues or errors.

10. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    It is dependent on the MSO to decide when (if ever) they push out CableCARD firmware updates just like Cablemodem firmware updates. Comcast used to be pretty lax about it but interesting that they've pushed out recent versions for both the Cisco/ScientificAtlanta and Motorola CableCARDS.

Scott

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    My provider is very clear on the modem updates: if you buy your own modem, no updates. But I use a SB6183 on a 24x4 system with no issues.

12. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    That seems very unusual. Comcast and I'm pretty sure most of the other major MSO's update them all whether leased or owned. You are connecting your device to the network so they want to insure they are running a consistent version (which would also include resolving possible security issues)

Scott

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I went to a friends house a few years ago to give her my old SB6120. She has Comcast in her trailer park. I connected it to my laptop and then moved her coax to the modem. It started a procedure, with reference to her account and a web site, that ended with the modem both working and with its firmware updated. I thought it was pretty cool. My cable company is, as you said, pretty small. They do work well with cable cards though and I think their tech support field people are very good.

BTW, every time I restart my modem, the log indicates a failure to load a configuration file. It's been doing that for 7 years.

14. drugrep

drugrep Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Woodridge, IL
    So should all Motorola M-Cards that got 7.15 have a boot version 4.01 like sfhub does as shown in his above post? I'm still at 3.25 boot and wondering if this may be the problem with a lot of my channels not coming in now. Didn't have an issue until this week.

I'm thinking 7.15 certainly is a lot more fussy with signal strength than 6.25 if this boot version is of little significance.

On another note, I have a few channels that are not offering to switch to HD by pressing D.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

15. WVZR1

WVZR1 Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    My Comcast updated just this AM around 4:00. I was watching a recording using a Mini through a Roamio and it mentioned losing connection. I thought of course some other issue but poked around the menu some and then just did a TiVo connection to check. There was an update still pending on the Mini that I've no idea what it could have been so I just did the restart. Once the reboot finished I checked the forum and saw this message.

Just now checked Roamio and I've got ARRIS Uptime 0000 03:15

HW: 0537971002 Boot: 3.25
    FW 06.25E 04/11/12 04:58
    FW* 7.15E 04/20/17 07:10

I do have Unit Address

I also have a CableCARD Decoder initial message "A Multi-Stream CableCARD was just inserted". I thought the "just inserted" interesting.

16. bella92108

bella92108 Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Most likely a result of your cable company going to Switched Digital Video (SDV) in your area. I lived in a Comcast market, and they were not SDV so it wasn't an issue, but now live in a Cox market, and here they use SDV, so the HD channels are fine, but I can't get the non-HD channels unless I have a switched video tuner adaptor (and I refuse to use that garbage).

17. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I on Comcast Hartford CT and got the update (7.15) some time ago, I can't see any difference yet.

18. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i can't either - i'm guessing it's a bug fix, to prepare for compatibility with future system upgrades, maybe both or neither - who knows, but judging by the firmware number change, it was a significant release.

would they bump the firmware version for a simple branding update?

19. drugrep

drugrep Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Woodridge, IL
    Well I know this firmware is more sensitive to a weak signal because I have lost several channels. Pretty confident it's my signal, but they came in before the firmware upgrade.

20. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    By how much did your signal levels change? My Roamio usually sits at 87% or 90% on all channels. Since I'm not on Comcast, I may never see the new firmware.