New Bolt -- what should I check before upgrading?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by frendli, Mar 19, 2016.

1. frendli

frendli New Member

Jul 6, 2006

Advertisements

Just got my Bolt 500GB. I'm going to upgrade it right away, but I wondered if anyone has suggestions for how to test to make sure it works properly before I void the warranty and upgrade it?

Thanks in advance!

2. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I would set it up and let it record a few shows. Really just the basics. Once you're happy plop in the new drive.

3. danjb

danjb New Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Flower...
    I assume when you replace the drive you will need to re-initialize the Tivo as if it were brand new. There is no issue with registering it twice / activating the cablecard twice is there?

4. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Yes, need to re-initialize (guided setup)

When you connect to TiVo it should pickup your original registration. Only need to do that once.

I forget the details with the Cablecard. I think you don't need to pair it again. However, it shouldn't be a problem if you do. If you're worried, get a second Cablecard and return one when you're done.

5. frendli

frendli New Member

Jul 6, 2006

Advertisements

I'm not worried about the setup etc., just apprehensive about making sure it's not a lemon before upgrading!

(So much so that I sent the first Bolt back to amazon because the seals were broken on the box.)

Cheers

6. Sounders/Seahawk

Sounders/Seahawk New Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Hi guys; I'm new to Tivo, but already upgraded from OTA to Bolt due to the fact that the OTA does not support cable. So here I am awaiting Xfinity service after cutting the ridiculous $148/month Directv bill. Regarding storage, I'm not the "hoarder" type - recording stuff and forgetting about it. My concern is performance and reliability. As I noticed, the system writes endlessly which will trigger unwanted HDD usage in time. Also losing power can bring harm to a traditional HDD (happened to me not only once). Now, for my PC I'm using a backup power source, but I find it ridiculous to do the same with my DVR.
    My question is plain and simple:
    How does an SSD drive perform compared to the existing one in a TIVO Bolt?
    Thanks!

7. unknownpa

unknownpa Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Don't do it. SSDs are a horrible choice due to the limited amount of writes SSDs allow. Your SSD will die prematurely compared to the HDD because the Bolt saves a buffer of live TV too so you can rewind (it's constantly writing). And the unwanted HDD usage doesn't matter. TiVos have worked this way for ages and many people love them - even with the stock HDD.

8. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Not so sure modern SSD drives are a worse choice than the 2.5" drives which have been used in Canada with such a high failure rate over the last 3 years. Neither will most likely last as long as a 3.5" drive.

9. Sounders/Seahawk

Apr 10, 2016
    The drive was delivered At 7:35 PM (considering it’s Sunday, kind of great!!!) at my door with Ontrack; it was ordered yesterday with one day (FREE) delivery from Amazon. It took me 11 min from the first screw to the last screw. The entire “preparation” session until my first channel was up and running was 8 min compared to about 40 min ten days ago when I got the Bolt. (Internet: FIOS 150Mbps up and down). I did this because of performance, heat and the fear to have the traditional HDD die on me during a power loss which is not so uncommon in the Pacific Northwest. (Happened to me twice before I got a backup power source).
    I went with the Samsung 850 EVO at 500GB which is rated by the manufacturer to start showing weakness after 150TB of writing. In terms of HD content, the math is very simple: 500GB equal 70 hours of HD content; 150TB is 500 GB times 300 which equals with 70 hours times 300 = 21.000 hours. It also comes with a 5 year manufacturer warranty.
    I know it will write basically everything I watch and removes that path, but still, it only writes as much as I watch and 21 k hours mean 2.4 years of continuous TV watching (24/7). Since my usage is below 2h/day average (considering game day), I believe to be good for 28 years .
    I intend to use the original drive as an external one and keep on it the stuff meant to be “consumed” on weekends. Like I stated in my first post, I’m not the accumulating type of person.
    First feeling with the SSD in my Bolt is speed; it’s snappy… The original was not bad either but I can feel the difference. Also jumping forward 30 sec or recording some content and going back to that show is faster. The temperature is drastically lower now and my two TiVo Mini are also better served. All in all, I’m very happy with my result. $149 for the 500GB Samsung 850 Evo drive is a small price to pay.
    Here are the specs of the drive:
    http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...ads/document/Samsung_SSD_850_EVO_Brochure.pdf
    Youtube speed test:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwzZ_Ss5veg

10. mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    Good luck with the original drive as a external, from what I have read all over the forum the only drives that work as an external are the old (Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1TB) that are not even being made any more.
    As far as the SSd's go in my opinion were never designed to be run 24/7 much
    less being written to none stop but I guess only time will tell good luck, just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Could you look at System Information and post the value for MBT:? Thanks.

That's a good warranty. I hope you don't need it. While I can't prove it, I feel my basic Roamio makes a static 3GB buffer for trick play and other storage. Since this buffer has a fixed position it will be the first location to show problems.

12. mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    I believe on the bolt it is ODT not MBT.

13. Sounders/Seahawk

Apr 10, 2016

I attached a photo as requested. One thing needs to be noted; the temperature for this reading is measured at the processor and the sensor is typically between the chip and the heat-shrink, which in my scenario can only prove a little bit cooler processor. The major gain (fall of temp.) is actually in the vicinity of the drive and you can feel the housing to be way cooler.
    For the skeptical ones and in response to some sarcasm, I am good for 5 years no matter what; the device performs better and I'm happy. Just checked my projector hours: 398 since Jan 12 2016 - 95% Netflix, HULU and Amazon Prime... It will outlive anyone on this forum, trust me guys. As far as using the internal drive as an external one, I actually don't care if it works or not; I will test it and get back with info. I'm only recording a game if I'm not home and the news of my choice; skip commercials while watching and delete the content afterwards. No movies for me related to TIVO. I'm perfectly fine with what I got.
    P.S. I almost forgot; the value you get to read for temperature is expressed in C not in F!!! After replacing the drive with an SSD one of the same capacity the temperature on the housing dropped 20F

Attached Files:

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Wow. That's awesome. Thanks for checking.

15. mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    The ODT on my Bolt with the stock 1Tb drive is only 61.

16. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Anecdotal at best, but TiVos on a UPS seem to fare better in the long run. This is based on my experience plus many others here.

17. Sounders/Seahawk

Apr 10, 2016
    Like I said, the sensor is NOT exposed to the temperature in the enclosure, but measures accurately the processor, while the housing gets warm. It does NOT measure the temperature as it is felt by a touch of a hand on the unit. The difference between 58C to 61C is 5.4F; Not much but it shows that the processor is better served due to working less hard.

18. mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    I know were the sensor's are as I have been building computers for over twenty years, I actually thought there were others that would like to know
    what a stock unit was running!:)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  19. Sounders/Seahawk

Apr 10, 2016
    I do not disagree; this was my point of going with SSD instead of getting a UPS.
    Traditional HDD takes harm if power drops and this happened to me twice. I since no longer have in my environment (PC, Laptop) traditional HDDs. If this SSD will not last 5years, it will be replaced under the manufacturer warranty. If it does hold as long that will probably be at a point in time at which I already got whatever new toy will be out there. I like to keep up with modern technologies; it's just like with the mobile phones... The new model comes out... You probably know the thrill. I will repeat myself in saying that overall the SSD brings better performance; is it for less than 5 years? Well than it will be replaced at no cost. That would be the unique inconvenience.

20. Sounders/Seahawk

Apr 10, 2016
    Mark, please don't bother telling me about your PC experience; I'm the wrong person to show-off with such. "Sounders/Seahawk" means Seattle/Redmond Bellevue... I'm in IT... Do a search and look for where the bits come from!
    Let's talk about your grammar, than let's about facts:
    Grammar: The plural of sensor is "SENSORS", not "sensor's" - that much about education
    Facts: Samsung SSD 850 EVO sells for $149 at 500GB; internal WD AV 500 sells for $70.
    TIVO with SSD runns better and cooler; TIVO with standard HDD runs slower and warmer.
    This particular SSD comes with a 5 year warranty, while the whole TIVO comes with 90 days of manufacturer warranty. Do I need to say more? Really?
    I came here to ask about performance BEFORE installing my SSD drive which was on it's way... There was no helpful answer because the ones who did the move did not respond. There was sarcasm, and negativity, but no one was talking from a personal experience. So far I was the only one to provide info here; I attached a photo of the actual temperature and I described my personal feeling about the performance.
    Mark, what you are doing is called "TROLLING" and I do appreciate it at all, regardless if I joined the TIVBO community a second ago or years ago.
    Please be noted: The ONLY useful information in this thread comes from me! YES, you can install an SSD; YES, the performance is improved; YES it runs colder; YES it will boot faster - like 5 times faster at first run!
    All the best!