New Bolt Vox does not recognize external hard drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by drakus, Oct 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. drakus

drakus New Member

Oct 19, 2019

Advertisements

I recently took advantage of the Tivo deal to get a 1TB and 500GB Bolt Vox with the intent of upgrading both with 4TB drives.

I bought WD Red 4 TB (WD40EFRX)
    and the Rosewill enclosure (RX304-APU3-35B)

I opened the case and plugged it into the SATA port on the motherboard. Upon boot I get the 4 flashing lights. I've tried different cables and a different enclosure with the same results. I also tried plugging the original hard drive into the enclosure and that fails as well.

Finally I plugged both drives into my computer and used dd to clone the original drive to the larger to see if that would work and that fails as well.

From reading through the forums, my understanding was you could just plug the drive in, upon first boot it would auto format the drive (in this case it would do only 2TB). Then I would use the MFS Reformatter to expand it.

What am I missing

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    If you used the "internal" drive SATA port on the motherboard it should work, but recent versions of the TE4 (21.x.x) software have been sketchy.

3. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could try connecting the drive to a PC and using the manufacturers diagnostic utility, write zeros to the drive.

4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    you need to connect the DRIVE directly to the SATA cable too, just like the Bolt motherboard. You cannot use an eSATA port on either device.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  5. Wigohwt

Wigohwt Member

Jun 9, 2019

Advertisements

I take it that the original drive works when it's in the Bolt?

As long as you don't have the Bolt Vox OTA, get the Bolt working with the original drive first, and change to TE3 before trying your upgrade. If you prefer TE4, you can risk the change later.

6. Wigohwt

Wigohwt Member

Jun 9, 2019
    Did you try connecting the enclosure (make sure its power is plugged in) with the 4TB to your PC to check if the enclosure is working? Maybe the enclosure is non-functioning? Use the USB cable first, and check if your PC can see, format, and read/write to the drive.

While there, you can test the 4TB with Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows "QUICK" and "EXTENDED" commands.
    You can also do the aforementioned zeroing with the "ERASE" command.
    Make sure you do this only on the 4TB.

7. drakus

drakus New Member

Oct 19, 2019
    So what finally worked for me was to directly connect the drive to the motherboard, and use the enclosures power, bypassing the enclosure's eSATA port. For some reason the bolt does not like having an intermediate connector. Thanks all for the help.