New Bolt + questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Surrealone, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006

Advertisements

So I just got my new Bolt + everything was perfect only a few odd things I noticed.
    I have Cox and it seems like my cable tuner is not needed is that correct? My Roamio pro needs it..
    Also how do I remove the cover it sounds like a piece of plastic might be rattling around inside?
    No fan problems..

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If your Roamio Pro needs the tuning adapter to pull-in SDV channels, then so would the BOLT+.

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    If you don't watch the SDV channels you could get rid of it on your Roamio Pro. :)

Scott

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Right. So not being an SDV customer, myself, how does one know whether a given channel is accessed via SDV? Also, do providers continually move more channels to SDV or is the allocation relatively stable?

5. InFromTheCold

InFromTheCold Member

May 28, 2008
    NY, NY

Advertisements

In my experience (my provider is TWC), the SDV channels have been stable. I don't remember whether TWC gave us a list of affected channels when they first implemented SDV. Without a tuning adapter, the way I can tell is that when I tune in the channel, I get a gray screen. It's bad when I try to watch a Tivo Suggestion for a movie or ball game and it turns out there's nothing to watch. (I hate when that happens!)

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Just to make sure I understand, you're running without a tuning adapter but you haven't removed the SDV-only channels from your 'My Channels' list, allowing the occasional gray/blank recording ??

7. InFromTheCold

InFromTheCold Member

May 28, 2008
    NY, NY
    Yeah, that's my setup, I'm too lazy to delete those I guess.

krkaufman likes this.
  8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You know they can be removed from the guide? Super simple for fine-tuning channels.

9. InFromTheCold

InFromTheCold Member

May 28, 2008
    NY, NY
    I'll take a look after I set up the new Bolt.

10. jefny

jefny Member

Feb 13, 2008
    I just received my new Bolt and am planning to use it to replace my old Tivo HD. The Tivo HD has 2 outputs-one is hdmi that goes to my plasma and the second is component that goes to my overhead projector allowing me to play Tivo output there.

The new Bolt has only one output (hdmi). There is the old video out but forget that (the result on a big screen is terrible). Any suggestions to allow the Tivo to service both my plasma and overhead projector (other than switching the hdmi out from my bluray player that goes directly to the overhead projector to the Tivo hdmi out).

11. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    You could get a HDMI splitter which yields limited results and will not always work. For instance it won't allow you to Output two screens at once but it doesn't sound like you want that function. Another problem with HDMI splitting is you'll get no surround sound. You could also buy a tivo Mini which supports simultaneous output of component with breakout cables and HDMI

Mikeguy likes this.
  12. jefny

jefny Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Thanks for the response. The more I think of it, since my Bolt sits on top of my bluray player I can simply plug the hdmi cable that goes to my overhead projector to the Bolt hdmi out. I don't do this very often (Netflix movie or sports) this may be the way to go. I also understand there may be some copyright issues concerning component out which are analog I believe.

By the way, I find the Bolt has so much more than my original TivoHD but there is no manual.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    See here:

worachj likes this.
  14. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I've seen setups where they do SDV for less used channels but main channels aren't SDV so your watching pattern might not need the tuning adapter even on the Roamio.

15. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Not relevant for your purposes, but Bolt actually doesn't have composite video out (the old video). It has the port there, but it only does analog audio L/R, no video. Roamio series did output composite over that connection.

16. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    They are doing streaming from Bolt to Mini which doesn't result in a copy being made and I don't believe they have the bug that is present in Roamios where they put a bouncing overlay onto the component output if the HDMI connection is connected but sink device is turned off.