New Bolt+ Purchase question for 'storage off-line'.

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by WVZR1, Nov 11, 2019.

1. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I used the 'Summer Sale' for a Bolt+ purchase. I connected it, rolled it back to TE3, transferred some content to confirm operation and pulled the power cord. Today seeing the 4b update mentioned I powered it back up and it took the 4b as expected. I haven't added a CableCARD to this machine and likely won't soon. Right now I don't need the additional TiVo.

Before pulling the 'power cord' again do I want to put this Bolt in STANDBY or just pull the plug?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Since the Bolt uses a laptop 2.5" drive, I don't think it matters. When pulling the plug on my Roamio I always put it into Standby first.

3. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    I put mine into Standby before unplugging them, but then again I'm a superstitious guy.

4. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Not what I'd consider a 'superstitious' guy but I was looking at the MENU and thought - silly not to ask! SINCE i'M ACTUALLY 'PULLING THE PLUG' i'M GUESSING IT MATTERS NOT!. Would maybe 'STANDBY' create another hurdle in initial 'power cord install'? I believe I'll just pull the cord from TiVo HOME!

5. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Going into Standby before pulling the plug will probably reduce the chance of corrupting the drive from "low" to "a little lower". I can't think of any benefit to not using Standby, other than saving the effort expended to press a few buttons on the remote. You've already expended a lot more effort than that by posting and reading the responses.

6. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I like to do a restart from the menu, then pull the power cord as soon as the first Welcome screen appears. That gives it a chance to complete any pending disk IO and shut down cleanly.

HerronScott and keithg1964 like this.
  7. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Thanks - I've not done it yet and that certainly seems to be a 'reasonable' reason why!!